Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wontdoitmyself Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 12:27 PM
    Convert a 220 outlet to 110 lighting branch circuits
    I have a 220 volt outlet in my basement, no longer used for that purpose. I am finishing my basement into living area and need to add some new branch circuits for lighting and additional outlets. It would be very difficult to run new wiring for the basement lighting to the house main panel which is in my garage. Can the 220 outlet be routed into a subpanel in the basement and used to create a couple of new 110 branch circuits for the lighting?
    eeseely Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Nov 18, 2008, 02:50 PM

Yes, since you already have 220vac, you can actually make two (2) 110vac circuits from it.

1. Look at the wires going to the 220vac outlet, after turning its breaker off.

2. You will probably see a black wire, a red wire and a white wire, which it the neutral wire. And there should also be a solid copper wire, too.

3. The voltage between the black and white wires should measure 110vac; and 110vac, between the red and white wires, also.

4. You need to install two (2) small circuit breaker panels to house 2 circuit breakers. I would go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get some guidance on this issue.

5. The 1st breaker will be power by the black wire, and the 2nd breaker, by the red wire.

6. If you are going to run wiring for receptacles in your basement, try to split the load evenly between the two hot circuits.

7. I would suggest that after you have run the wiring, then have someone who is more experienced make the connections in the circuit breaker panel.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Nov 18, 2008, 03:05 PM

Does the current wiring include a neutral and ground?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 03:32 PM
    eeseely is assuming you have a 120/240v 4-wire circuit.

Tev's question is extremely important. If you do not have a neutral then you can convert the existing circuit into ONE 120v circuit.

If you do have a 4-wire 120/240v circuit then you can convert it into two 120v circuits.

Connecting the wire to the panel is the easy part. Knowing how to wire the circuits is the part that demands knowing what you are doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 220 VAC 1Phase to 2-110VAC circuits [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 220VAC single phase 30 amp circuit that I would like to split into two 110VAC circuits. The 220VAC circuit has 3 wires and if I measure across the two main terminals I get the 220VAC and if I measure between a main terminal and what appears to be ground, I get the 110VAC. If I take one of...

Convert Electric Dryer outlet to regular outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a gas dryer, leaving a funky 3 pronged outlet unused. The outlet was connected to the fuse box as a single circuit and I would like to let the new gas outlet take advantage of this. Is there any problem replacing the 'funky' electric dryer outlet to a regular three pronged outlet,...

Identifing the first outlet in a branch circuit [ 5 Answers ]

Any idea on how to identify the first outlet on a branch circuit. I need to install a GFGI outlet and in order to protect the rest of the outlets in the branch I need to put the GFGI on the first one. Also is there a minimum size outlet box to use when installing a GFGI outlet? Thanks, J:confused:

Convert one three wire circuit to two circuits [ 1 Answers ]

At present, two fixtures on one switch are in parallel; so a three wire cable connects the two fixtures. How to convert existing three wire cable to support two switches, one for each fixture? Reason is that the three wire cable is buried in finished ceiling, and running another cable to one of...

Lighting and Outlet Circuits [ 6 Answers ]

Can lighting and receptacles be on the same circuit or should they be on separate circuits?

View more questions Search