Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChristineBeach Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 01:21 PM
    No cool air from Central Air conditioning
    I have a Rheem central air conditioner unit which suddenly stopped blowing cool air (AC). The outside unit (compressor) seems to be working since it kicks on. However, the air blowing inside the house is only room temperature air. I made sure the blades were turning in the right direction on the outside unit and the pipe with the insulation is cool to the touch. What could be the problem?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 23, 2009, 02:34 PM

Stick a thermometer in one of your supply registers and let us know what it reads. Also indoor temp. My bet is that your condenser(outdoor unit) is extremely dirty and needs to be cleaned(as easy as using a garden hose and spraying fins clean) or you have a leak in the system and need a service call to find leak and recharge system.

You say outdoor unit is running, at least the fan, but do you also hear the compressor running?

Jun 23, 2009, 04:14 PM

The temp is reading 81 on the thermostat unit for indoors. I'm not sure if I'm hearing the compressor running outside or if it's just the fan. Seems a bit quieter than the other outdoor unit on the other side of house. The air that is being output from the outside unit in question seems cool compared to the warm air being output by the other unit that is working. Does that mean something?
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jun 24, 2009, 04:36 AM

Sounds to me like your compressor is not running. Could be a bad capacitor or you might have another issue. Compressors are not an easy diagnosis without being there to see what's going on. Might want to have a tech come out and look at it for you.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 03:02 PM

You've got to find out if compressor is running first. If you don't feel qualified to determine this, you should call for onsight pro. Please let us know what they find.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 24, 2009, 03:21 PM

Before you call for repair check the filter on your furnace. If you haven't replaced it in a while sometimes that is the quick easy fix.
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 24, 2009, 03:29 PM

Msmewiththat is correct. Checking and changing filter is always a good first move to make. However, I believe if your filter were that plugged up you would notice ice buildup on lineset. Or at least feel cool air coming out of registers(just less of it). I suggest replacing filters at least twice a year, or even every three months.

Jun 24, 2009, 07:08 PM

Thanks for all of your help. The compressor was working but turns out when I took off the cover to the outside unit, I noticed that the capacitor looked as if it had a meltdown. So I called a pro and he agreed that the capacitor had to be replaced. There was plenty of freon and the compressor was fine. The filter was clean since I replace it every 2 to 3 months. What a relief! Could have been an expensive venture. But once again, thanks for all of your responses. I sure learned a lot.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 25, 2009, 07:15 AM

I am happy that you found resolution. Stay cool :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioning Not Running Cool. [ 1 Answers ]

Changed the filter a few days ago, since then the rooftop unit is not running. The fan in the air handler is running but not blowing cool air. Help!

Central Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace my home air conditioning system. Nice down stairs but upstairs terrible. It's the original system, 19 years old. My house is 2500 sq feet, 2 story. What's the best system I should buy? How many seer? I don't want to overbuy but upstairs is unbearable!!

Central air doesn't cool [ 2 Answers ]

I am not getting cool with my Rheem central air system. Why might this system not be blowing cold air?

Central air conditioning [ 2 Answers ]

My central air unit does not "kick" on. The fan from the furnace and heat... does. There is a spark at the thermostat and the fuse box appears to be o.k. Any suggestions.

Air conditioning- one room in home does not cool equally [ 5 Answers ]

Our air conditioning unit is located outside, looks like its just a fan, and has two tubes running to it. All air conditioning vents/ ducts are in the ceiling. One room in our home however does not cool anywhere near as well as the rest of the house. This room is located furthest away from the unit...

View more questions Search