Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    effex1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Replacing a 3 ton 10 seer AC with a 3.5 ton 10 seer
    Can I use the existing evaporator or would I need to replace the evaporator coil

How about using a 4 ton 10 seer unit
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 20, 2009, 05:12 PM

You can keep the existing a-coil if you size the orafice correctly, or have a txv valve. However, it is best practice to have the a-coil and condernser matched. I would also suggest having a minimum 13 seer installed(coil and condenser), as ten seers is a thing of the past.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

May 20, 2009, 07:03 PM

Just curious why are you up-sizing the outdoor unit? I also agree you should jump to a 13 SEER unit.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 08:23 PM
    I`m guessing you are replacing the 3 ton with a used 3.5 ton condenser,, around my state there are no more new 10 seers units to be had
    If this is the case you won`t have a warranty to worry about,because the condenser and evap coil don`t match

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

13 seer AC unit with 10 Seer Coil is this possible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently in the process of getting quotes on a new AC Unit. I am looking at a 2.5 ton, 13/14 seer unit. When talking to the guys who do the quotes I have gotten mixed answers on a couple things. My unit is 18 years old and the motor broke. 1. If I get a new AC unit for the outside that...

14 SEER vs 15 SEER Trane Heat Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I received two quotes for a 14 and a 15 SEER Trane R410A heat pump. The price difference was $2900 between the two quotes (there's duct work $$ in the quote as I am doing a major remodel and adding lots of new space) The question is should I ave the $2900 or does the extra efficieny pay off? ...

Air handler seer 10? WIll it be OK with a seer 13 heat pump. [ 1 Answers ]

We are replacing our old heat pump... the air handler was replaced 4 years ago and is good condition. Everyone wants us to replace our hole unit and we really don't want to put out that much $$ at this time. Can we just replace the Heat pump? Or do we have to replace both. Everyone says they...

Amana 16 seer vs trane 14 seer [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to replace 2 evaporative coolers with a 3 ton and a 4 ton ac split units Which includes swapping out the old furnaces. I have been given 2 choices amana 16 seer 2 speed compressor of 14 seer trane with 1 speed compressor. Which is best?

AC 16 SEER 2 speed motor vs 14 SEER 1 speed [ 1 Answers ]

I live in west TX in hot somewhat dry summers and I am looking to install refrigerated air units (split systems) in my home. I am looking at 2 units 4 ton and 3 ton I need help in choosing between Amana 16 SEER 2 speed motor vs Trane 14 SEER 1 speed motor. Is the SEER rating difference going to be...

View more questions Search