Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattheag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Do I Need to Upgrade
    I just had my house expanded an additional 600 sq. ft and I bought a new American Standard (3.5 ton) unit about 4 years ago. Back then, my house was approx 1200 sq. ft. and I bought an oversized unit knowing that I would eventually expand the house. Now that I've finished the expansion I'm being told that I may need a new unit because my ceiling height is about 9 ft. I've noticed that I can barely feel air coming out of the registers in the new rooms that are furthest away from the unit (probably around 30 ft distance) but in other new rooms the air blows fine. It seems to me that if my unit were "undersized" that 1 or more of 3 things would be apparent.

1. The air coming out of the registers is not cold enough
    2. The air coming out of the registers doesn't have enough cfm.
    3. The air conditioner is running all of the time to keep up with the additional cooling required.

Seems like I can address option 2 by increasing the cfm (duh!). Can this be done by buying a new fan (blower?). I think my a/c guy isn't telling me something because he wants me to buy a new unit. He already quoted me one for 6K!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 04:55 PM

Sounds like you have a duct work problem not a ac sizing problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Need of an upgrade [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a 60 year old house that still uses fuse circuits... I believe it is a 100 watt amp and would like to upgrade the box only to a circuit-breaker box... what would the cost be for this upgrade, the house is located in Bergen County, NJ. I was also told that the wiring in the entire house...

60 amp upgrade [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Cranbrook B.C. and I just bought a house scheduled to move in next month. The service is only 60 amp and I wasn't made aware of this till I did a walk through after the deal was done (I did a preinspection). Now my realtor is saying is is not their fault that it was my responsibility. Is...

Xp upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

Would it be feasible to upgrade a 98SE, Compaq,amdk6,256ram,10g h.d. to xphome? It is only used to store word docs and access internet

View more questions Search