Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jklein4353 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Highlighting hair
    My hair is extremely blonde already, however has a yellow tint to it. I want a few white highlights in it to break up the gold. Should I use bleach with 30 or 40 vol. developer?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2009, 12:30 PM

In spite of claims to the contrary, the strength of the developer is a minor factor in bleaching hair. The bleach, itself is what does the lightening. The developer only provides a vehicle to dissolve the bleach (bleaches are all solids) and move it into the hair shaft. Stronger developer may increase the speed of lightening, but it will not affect the ultimate lightness that is achievable.

Also, the stronger the developer, the more damage accrues to the hair. I always recommend either 20- or 30-volume (6 or 9% by weight) developer and never use 40-volume developer with bleach (if you want to preserve the "health" of your hair).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair color and highlighting [ 2 Answers ]

I have put a brown hair color on my hair and was wondering if a blond or light brown highlighting kit would work on my hair. I don't know much about how everything reacts with everything else. Maybe I should ask this question also. I have brown hair naturally, but my hair has been heavily...

Highlighting bleached hair [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter bleached her hair about four weeks ago and we had to rince it off very quickly because it burnt her scalp, most of her hair did bleach apart from some of her hair unerneath. Will it be OK now to just highlight her hair on top of the bleach or will it go wrong

Highlighting red hair. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I have a question regarding highlighting. I am naturally a strawberry/golden blonde---(I have a lot of naturally red shades along with some really light blonde, dark, and golden blond strands... ) A few months back I decided I wanted to do something different and daring and so I bought a box...

Hair highlighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have two tones of hair color my original and the color I dyed my hair with months ago and I wanted to go to the salon and get it highlighted should I color my base hair color before I go and get my highlights done it would be cheaper

Highlighting Dark Hair [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sure there is already a forum for this so sorry peeps. I've naturally got medium to dark brown hair, I dyed it not long ago and it looks slightly black though I'm wanting to get some highlights to help lighten it. I want to gradually lighten. Any suggestions on colouring or how I should...

View more questions Search