Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragonfly_girl78 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Highlighting red hair.
    [F] Hi... I have a question regarding highlighting. I am naturally a strawberry/golden blonde---(I have a lot of naturally red shades along with some really light blonde, dark, and golden blond strands... ) A few months back I decided I wanted to do something different and daring and so I bought a box of Bright Auburn hair color. That didn't work well with my pale skin. After about a month of having that color---it started to fade and gave a more defined pink hue to my hair color. I did not like that at all... so I did some research on Loreal's website and learned in order to get rid of that pink hue that I needed to die my hair with a box of light golden brown. After dying it, it came out looking more like a reddish blonde... I can see a lot of strands are back towards my natural color. [My hair doesn't hold color very long.] Its very coarse and naturally curly. I would like to put some blonde highlights in it, so I don't feel that I look so frumpy. The red color is all right, but my roots are starting to show and I'd like to use highlighting---to get more towards my natural color again. After this Im done with trying to do my own thing. I cannot afford to go into a salon, but I am nervous about highligting reddish color hair and ending up with orange or green or some odd thing. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I picked up a box of golden blonde highlights---would this work for me? I thank you in advance for any ideas, suggestions, or opinions. Oh! I almost forgot to add---I cannot use any hair color that says "ash"---because it turns my hair greyish black.
    Zelda2430 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 02:11 PM
    I also color my hair light and dark auburn, I wanted to add highlights just for a little change and found a product called Color Breaks by Garnier, Kit No. 4, it's for light auburn to Reddish brown hair, breaks up solid, color treated hair, I was really happy with it also, so if you decide to try it good luck.:)
    cnadaceangel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_girl78
    [F] Hi... I have a question regarding highlighting. I am naturally a strawberry/golden blonde---(I have a lot of naturally red shades along with some really light blonde, dark, and golden blond strands...) A few months back I decided I wanted to do something different and daring and so I bought a box of Bright Auburn hair color. That didn't work well with my pale skin. After about a month of having that color---it started to fade and gave a more defined pink hue to my hair color. I did not like that at all...so I did some research on Loreal's website and learned in order to get rid of that pink hue that I needed to die my hair with a box of light golden brown. After dying it, it came out looking more like a reddish blonde...I can see a lot of strands are back towards my natural color. [My hair doesn't hold color very long.] Its very coarse and naturally curly. I would like to put some blonde highlights in it, so I dont feel that I look so frumpy. The red color is alright, but my roots are starting to show and I'd like to use highlighting---to get more towards my natural color again. After this Im done with trying to do my own thing. I cannot afford to go into a salon, but I am nervous about highligting reddish color hair and ending up with orange or green or some odd thing. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I picked up a box of golden blonde highlights---would this work for me? I thank you in advance for any ideas, suggestions, or opinions. oh! I almost forgot to add---I cannot use any hair color that says "ash"---because it turns my hair greyish black.
    hey I also had strawberry blonde hair , it was my natural color, I dye my hair a lot , but I have never had problems with even a strand falling out. Ever! Lol and I dye my hair OFTEN lol . What I did to my hair was I bought a box of red/orange hair dye from the local grocery store, uhmm loreal feria color booster, it was copper red. It made my hair orangish .( it was what I wanted at the time.. but then I decided I wanted blonde ) I was aiming for blonde.. platinum blOnde . But I decided to ignore all the tips on hair , and tried it my own way . I had orange hair for a about a week. So then I started using blonde bombshell shampoo , ( sunsilk).. and it slowly made my hair lighter. This entire step only took about 2 weeks. So as of tonight,. like maybe an hour ago , I used sunlight detergent(concentrated) and I used it about 3 times , and my color.. slowly turned lighter. Then to make sure it didn't fry on me, I used joico conditioner ( it repairs damage ) and my hair is almost blonde now. And I've been highlighting my red hair for like ever. It WILL work on your hair . Just make sure you use a lot of conditioner beforehand. ^^ I am currently going to dye my hair platinum tomorrow . My hair is in a lot of layers and it is verrry thick , so it has never felt damaged. Lol but yeah anyway , I used Nice'n'easy blonde hair dye. To make highlights lol : ) blended nicely and made my hair stand out = )

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tone down or remove a semi permanent red hair dye over bleach blonde hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I am at my wits end! I had my hair professionally frosted about two months ago. I like the blonde, with my dark hair roots, but I wanted to add some red low lights with the blonde streaking throughout. However, I did not get the results I wanted. Now I have dark roots, and a multi blonde/red...

Hair highlighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have two tones of hair color my original and the color I dyed my hair with months ago and I wanted to go to the salon and get it highlighted should I color my base hair color before I go and get my highlights done it would be cheaper

Stripping my hair color then dying it AND highlighting it? [ 2 Answers ]

I've dyed my hair many times myself from brown to blonde and now I'm brown again. My hair is a little fried from all the dying and straightening. I just want to go to a salon and finally have them do my hair, I think because I've dyed my hair so many times though they will probably strip the color...

Highlighting Reddish/Brown hair. [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a product at a store like Walgreens or Target that I can buy to highlight my daughter's hair that will get rid of the red in her hair? The hairdressers keep saying it isn't red, but it is. So, I'd like to try a product at home. We've done highlights before, so I'd be willling to try...

Highlighting Dark Hair [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sure there is already a forum for this so sorry peeps. I've naturally got medium to dark brown hair, I dyed it not long ago and it looks slightly black though I'm wanting to get some highlights to help lighten it. I want to gradually lighten. Any suggestions on colouring or how I should...

View more questions Search