Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdziegler Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Heat capacity of a calorimeter
    Assume you are performing the calibration step of Experiment 8 and you begin with 50 g of water at 20 C and 50 g of water at 80 C. After adding the two portions of water into your calorimeter setup and following the procedure outlined in the experiment, you determine the temperature of the mixed portions of water to be 45 C. What is the heat capacity of the calorimeter?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 9, 2009, 11:07 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to copy your homework to AMHD.
    Please refer to this announcement: Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdziegler View Post
    50 g of water at 20 C
    50 g of water at 80 C.
    Final temperature = 45 C.
    You need to calculate the final temperature of a mixture of the two portions of water. This will not be 45 C. The mass of the calorimeter is responsible for cooling the water further. This is what you are supposed to calculate from the data.
    jdziegler Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Im so lost here! I don't understand what you are saying can you please explain this to me!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 02:21 AM

If you mix 50 g of water at 20 C and 50 g of water at 80 C, you'll end up with 100 g of water at 50 C. Right?

Now, the final temperature is 45 C as stated in the problem and not 5 C. The calorimeter is responsible for cooling the water further because the calorimeter has some heat capacity. That is what the calibration is for -- to figure out how the heat capacity of the calorimeter affects the overall temperature of the liquid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore heavy duty 60 series soft heat large capacity [ 2 Answers ]

Dryer will not heat

Physics specific heat capacity [ 1 Answers ]

I have to find the specific heat capacity of a rock that is 1910J/Kg Cdegrees. It has rock mass of 0.275kg. Falls from rest from a height of 28.5m and into a containing 0.480kg water. The rock and water has the same initial temp. I'm using this equation: T= Mrock(gh)...

The molar heat capacity of silver is 25.35 . How much energy would it take to raise t [ 1 Answers ]

The molar heat capacity of silver is 25.35 . How much energy would it take to raise the temperature of 9.60 of silver by 15.3?

Heat capacity [ 1 Answers ]

What two assumptions would you have to make in order to calculate the specifuc heat capacity of titanium

Erm.Enthalpy/heat capacity [ 3 Answers ]

a) how much heat is required to raise the temperature of the water from 12oC to 22oC? (this is the amount of heat produced when 0.92g of ethanol burns) volume of water = 400cm3 initial temperature of water = 12 final temperature of water = 22 mass of ethanol burnt = 0.92g specific heat...

View more questions Search