Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Jan 30, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Erm.Enthalpy/heat capacity
    a) how much heat is required to raise the temperature of the water from 12oC to 22oC?
    (this is the amount of heat produced when 0.92g of ethanol burns)

volume of water = 400cm3
    initial temperature of water = 12
    final temperature of water = 22
    mass of ethanol burnt = 0.92g
    specific heat capacity of water = 4.2

b)How much heat would be produced when 1 mole of ethanol burns? (call this the heat combustion of ethanol)

im not asking you to do everything for me just tips on how to do it.
    thisoneleft Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 02:59 AM
    energy = mass x specific heat capacity x temp change
    mass=400g( 1cm of h2o = 1g) =0.4kg
    s.h.c. =4200J/(kg/K)
    temp. = 10 oC
    energy =.4 x 4200 x 10 = 16800J
    for pt (b)... find out how much one mole of ethanol weighs
    find what fraction of 1 mole is 0.92g and calculate the heat that would be released using proportionality.
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Feb 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Before you answered the question, I did along the line of what you did, but as usual my way of thinking is flawed:D
    thisoneleft Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 02:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil dead
    Before you answered the question, I did along the line of what you did, but as usual my way of thinking is flawed:D
    :confused: something is wrong... who set the question?
    As for as I know that's correct... if thar is not correct then something is wrong with my knowledge... enlighten me if you can... but for now , with the knowledge I have I will take that answer to be correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc capacity [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install pvc below grade at my downspouts. There will be several downspouts that run into the pvc trunk line via t connectors. Trying to find out how much water 4" and 6" pvc will carry to see if I can start with 4" then down the line as more downspouts are connected to the system step up...

Capacity of old panelboard [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am checking to see if the panelboard in the old building can handle my load (considering a restaurant in this building) The old square-D panelboard label reads: Power <<<< >>>> lights ------------------------------------ 90 << bus amp>> 175

Mean capacity [ 1 Answers ]

A particular type of plastic soap bottle is designed to have a capacity of 15 ounces. There is a variation in the bottle manufacturing process. Based on historical data, suppose that the bottle capacity can be reasonably modeled by a normal distribution with a mean of 15 ounces and a standard...

Enthalpy Problems [ 0 Answers ]

Im a currently struggling with these two enthalapy problems. #1 If F2(g) + H2(g) --> 2HF(g) H= -542kJ, what is the Standard Heat of Formation for HF? Is this going to be the same as the enthalaphy of the reaction = -542 or is going to be half of that = -271kJ. #2 When 1.00g of...

Hard drive Capacity [ 3 Answers ]

?? I have Microsoft Windows XP operating system. I have a 40GB hard drive that shows only about 7GB capacity. How do I fix this problem without losing my data. I don't have a zip drive to backup everything. Please Help!?

View more questions Search