Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dahlialine Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 08:51 AM
    How do you get over someome you love when they feel the same way back.
    My ex boyfriend and I have known and liked each other for years, we broke up about half a year ago and since then have been "just friends". However I still had feelings for him and so I confronted him recently and he said his feelings also haven't changed.

Right now he is under a lot of stress from his family because a lot has happened since our break up. I told him I didn't want to keep going back and forth and keep on guessing and doubting. I gave him two possibilities, either there's something left and we build up on it, or we let it go and move on, because we've spent so much time with this.

He said even though he still has strong feelings for me, he feels he isn't able to "take care of me" when he "can't even take care of himself".

He is going through so much and I just wish I could help him.. but he says he doesn't want to hurt me again and that its hard for him to think he might hurt me more if we got back into a relationship. So he chose to let me go. Even though he said he knew this was a "stupid choice" but because of the circumstances it was what had to happen..

I don't know what I should do now. Should I move on? And if so, how do I go about it? I don't want him to finally come around, and find that I'm not around for him anymore.

Please give me any adivce.. sorry about the long post.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 08:57 AM
    So he chose to let me go
    he feels he isn't able to "take care of me" when he "can't even take care of himself".
    He says he doesn't want to hurt me again
    He already gave you his answer, so its time to let go, and move on. As your finding out, it takes more than feelings for a relationship to work.

Let him learn to take care of himself. Take care of yourself.
    MiSSsy111222 Posts: 267, Reputation: 29

Mar 8, 2009, 09:04 AM

Hmm you say you both feel the same but that is not true. This is obvious because you both want different things. Talaniman is right let him take care of himself and you take care of yourself.
    Texasmama Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2009, 11:38 PM
    Unfortunately, time really is what helps get over someone, and this is pretty new. It is so much easier for me to type this than to live it, but we've all been through heartbreak. Now is the time for you to get a hobby, read some good books, go out with girlfriends, do some volunteering, or just sit and veg-out to TV. Anything to not contact him. I know it is cliche' but [if you love something, set it free; if it comes back, it is yours. If it doesn't, it was not yours to start with.]Good luck to you!
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 05:34 AM

Time and distance are the keys to getting over someone, both of which you're not allowing to happen. You cannot, I repeat cannot be friends with an ex right after a break up if you hope to return to your healthy self.
    Tribune17 Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Mar 13, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Hi, in all that you have read, the one thing you should do is be honest with yourself. If you have been apart all this time, surely the relationship was over. You say you have strong feelings and so does he, so how can you honestly say you must move on, if it cannot work. All this time you haven't moved on, why should it change now. The only solution for you is to go out and date only to meet new guys and out with your friends, otherwise you are stuck in a time warp of emotional upset which sounds like no conclusion!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I feel I can not love another [ 5 Answers ]

I feel emotionally numb at the moment and psychologically I believe I have put up a barrier so I wouldn't get emotionally hurt anymore but I have found someone who I want to have strong feelings for and I have felt some sorts of feelings for him but it either comes in different ways or I don't feel...

I can not feel love: HUH! [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a relatively normal girl (probably). I love my family and my friends. However I have never felt the "in-love" feeling before. I notice when someone is attractive, or funny, or smart, I just don't react in a "love-love" kind of way. Am I: a) Incapable of that kind of love b) Just...

I feel I am never going to love again. [ 3 Answers ]

I feel really sad, I was involved in a relationship that was off and on and put on hold, it went on for five years. I always wanted it to work as I really love(d) this other person. However this other person told me that they can never see me again as it would upset their current partner, I would...

I want to love him, he's so right for me but why doesn't it feel that way? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship with a great guy for a year now but we recently broke up and I feel terrible. I want to love him and I know that he is perfect for me, and at times I feel as though I made a big mistake and I will never find anybody like him, but there is always this little niggling...

I want to feel my love again.How? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I really need help here. You see, me and my ex have been together for 1year and 2 month. We loved each other very much, he was everything for me. We were braking up twise. Once he broke up with me, but in two weeks came back. I still loved him very much but there were problems a lot, and he...

View more questions Search