Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimhines Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Ground on knob and tube
    I have knob and tube wireing in my home and I am putting in some new lights and I am woundering if I need to hook the ground up or not some one told me no I didn't but they arnt working and I had lights that worked before can some one help me please before I rip out the rest of my hair
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2009, 08:15 PM

If you have lights that aren't working, a ground won't fix that. A ground is there for safety.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 08:19 PM
    Perito is right. A ground serves no purpose in the functionality of the system. It is a safety back up in case of short circuit.
    K&T systems do not have a ground, so even hooking it up would not do a thing.

If it worked before you simply did something wrong in wiring the new light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knob and tube, no ground. [ 7 Answers ]

I have knob and tube. All of my outlets on the main floor are in the floor as opposed to the wall. I have direct access to the boxes from the basement. The outlets aren't grounded (except for some, you'll see later). Pretty much all of the outlets are really old, and fairly worn out. This makes me...

Knob & Tube [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my bathroom. Home built in the 50's with existing knob and tube. Bathroom has power coming into 1 switch that controls lighted medicine cabinet with outlet inside cabinet. Want to add 1 new light fixture, 1 GFI, and 1 ceiling fan (no light). Is there any diagram that...

Replacing Knob and Tube [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for a little clarification here. I'm in the process of replacing the Knob and Tube wiring in an older 1930 home. Although I trying to preserve the original look of the house the K&T prevents me from installing insulation in the attic. Originally there was only one circuit running into...

Tieing in to knob and tube [ 3 Answers ]

When tieing in 14/2 at switch box, what do you do with the neutrals?

Knob and Tube tie-in [ 13 Answers ]

I apologize if I missed this info elsewhere. I have an 80 YO bungelow with seemingly healthy knob and tube wiring. The house has a combination of old and new wiring depending on when past work was done. My question is what is the safest, code friendly or preferred way to mate the old K&T to new...

View more questions Search