Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2009, 11:57 PM
    Which vitamins should I take?
    Hi there,

I've been interested for a while in starting a good vitamin regiment. So, my MAIN question is: WHICH ones?

I guess some information about me would help. I'm 23, never had children, don't plan to until my 30's. I have no known health problems or allergies. I've always had weight problems ((not too much, usually just 20-30 lbs. overweight)). I'm a casual drinker ((2-3 drinks per week)). Any other information needed, please ask.

I've also heard that pre-natal vitamins are great for hair and nails. Is that true and what are its other positives?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 04:37 PM

I would take a good multi-vitamin, one which has your full RDA of folic acid. Can't remember the exact numbers of pregnancies which are not planned, but it's very high. Unless you live in a convent, assume it's possible you may get pregnant.

I'd also suggest some extra vitamin C, some calcium/magnesium and some fish oil. That should cover you.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 11:56 PM

Thank you for the advice. I don't know how me becoming pregnant is relevant... but I assume its my question about pre-natal vitamins. I'm not asking about them as a potential mother, just as a person wondering of its benefits to the non-pregnant non-planning person.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 01:39 PM

Folic acid is recommended for all women of childbearing age, even if they are not planning to become pregnant, as it is so essential in preventing birth defects. It's also really good for you, even if you never become pregnant. They normally come from leafy green veg, and most of us don't really eat as many of those as we should.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After vitamins [ 3 Answers ]

After removing IUD I was drinking pre natal vitamins , after 2 weeks I was seek (vomiting ) I stopped and everything was OK, after 4 month of trying to get pregnant I start drink multivitamin ( one a day women) and after 10 days I have same feeling... vomiting, What could...

What vitamins do I need? [ 10 Answers ]

Can someone give me a list of all the vitamins I should have in a day? Those vitamin packs with 20% of one and 2000% of another makes me nervous. I know there are like one a day pills and stuff, but I'm more interested in kind of making my own mix of everything I need. One a day pills don't give...

Vitamins [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to intake more than 5microgram vitamin D3 per day while you trying to conceive and during pregnancy. Because in prenatal, vitamin D3 is 5microgram so does in calcium pills. Please tell me!

Where can I buy this vitamins? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know where can I buy prenatal vitamins??

Vitamins and Trying to conceive! [ 4 Answers ]

We have been trying everything for the past 9 months! I don’t think that it helps that I am borderline underweight. This stinks! I have been trying to eat healthy but gain like 5 lbs. I have been taking Vitamin B. Does anyone know if that is a wrong kind or should I take something else? I am...

View more questions Search