Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mum2five Posts: 171, Reputation: 32

Jan 26, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Is me bab an addict
    Ok so very naughty I know but I smoked right through all 4 pregnancies with my children , but this time both me and partner decided to stop smoking 6 days ago !
    For some strange reason - must be the hormones I started wondering if I am going threw withdrawel is baby ? Baby due in 14 weeks !
    I mean they say smoking is bad in pregnancy bla bla and that the substance is passed threw the placenta to baby so surely nicotene must reach baby ?
    So is my baby going to be annoyed that have stopped ?
    Yes I know just humour me - partner just laughs at my weird outburst !
    Yes 6 days now as a non smoker although with a patch and gum the cravings are still bad!

Sorry no idea what happened to the title of this thread ! Is my baby an addict !
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Yes, your baby will go through withdrawals, even with the gum or the patch. You may notice that your baby is more "figity."

I am glad to hear you stopped now rather than later. Babies, once born, going through withdrawals can be hard to deal with for the first few days.

I know when a mother smoked even if she denies smoking based solely on the behavior of the newborn within hours after birth.

Jan 26, 2009, 03:51 PM

HONESTLY ?

I had no idea - to think everyone I asked laughed at me.

To me it was the same principle as heroin baby gets hooked too so when it is taken away of course it has to get used to no longer having it.

So why do I now feel guilty for stopping smoking ?

Yes baby has def become a lot more sharper with his kicks as if to say mummy where is my fag and a lot more active !

I have to admit it has been very hard giving up just wish I had done it sooner - before I had any of my children !

Knowing my luck I will now have a huge baby none of mine have been over 7lb - prob the smoking causing lower birth weight - I heard that teenage mums deliberately smoke so they have small babies !
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Never feel guilty for stopping smoking. It's the best thing you could do for your baby. I hate the nights I spend in the nursery with a nicotine/drug addicted baby. They shake, and cry incessantly.

They are just looking for a "fix." We joke about taking them out for a cigarette.

You did the best thing for your baby. Keep it up. I know it's hard, but it is best.

Smoking does cause low birth weight, but also a multitude of other problems. I have never heard that teens smoke to have smaller babies.

Jan 26, 2009, 04:14 PM

I know a few teenage girls who say they even began smoking in pregnancy as it reduces the size the baby was born. There was a documentary on TV also about that topic.
    But I have no intention of starting again !
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 05:14 PM

Here's the article:

Pregnant teens take up smoking to avoid pain of childbirth | Mail Online

Well done mum2five! Yes, baby will go through withdrawals, but it is far better while inside you then once born.
    Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Ah, no wonder I haven't read the article before now. It's from the UK and I am from the US. Very interesting!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is he (nearly) a sex addict? [ 13 Answers ]

My boyfriend claims to masturbate 3 times a day every day. Is that within normal range or is there something wrong with him i.e. medically?

Sex addict [ 6 Answers ]

I like having sex with hot men. Its starting to become an addiction. I can't even think straight; I just look at a guy and imagine what is in his pants. I only like men 6'4 and above who have geat bodies and look like models. When I meet them; Its like a drive until I get them. Once I do, I like to...

Sex addict? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 14 month started to withdraw from me emotionally & sexually about 2 month ago. He just accepted a transfer to another city two hours from us. We went from living together & seeing each other every day to a weekend relationship. The first weekend he came home, he bought a whole...

Tell me I'm not an addict! [ 5 Answers ]

Okay I've been wondering if I should ask this here but I'm goint to ask. I've been with my man for 6 months and I love him a lot. My last relationship (one that had been going on on and off for 3 years! ) ended badly because of things that happened after me and him had gotten sexual. I found out my...

View more questions Search