Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkitoney61 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
    17 year charged with petty theft-1st offense
    My 17 year son was charged with larceny by a local police force. He & another boy were in a Hollister store in NC. Its my sons first offense and has never been in trouble with law before. We have a court date. Do we need to contact a lawyer?
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 11, 2008, 11:54 AM

YES. get a lawyer. Unless your son doesn't want to go to college or get a job. (In the long run, its worth the $$ for not just your sons future, but also your own sanity - you want him out of the house one day, right?)

He'll probably be charged as an adult.
    nikkitoney61 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 09:08 PM

Why would he get tried as an adult? The merchandise was returned to the store and was under $60. Hes a first time offender and is under 18. Don't think it's that serious to be tried as an adult
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 12, 2008, 09:33 AM

"Adult courts have held jurisdiction over 16- and 17-year-olds since 1919. Later laws allowed transfer of 13- to 15-year-olds to adult courts and required it on a first-degree murder charge."

NC is one of three states that has this law. This is a criminal charge and many other states also transfer 17 y/o's to adult courts for criminal matters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft over $5000 first offense [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am likely going to be charged with theft over $5000 in Alberta. Again it is my first offense. I recently graduated from university and recently started a new job as an engineer. The offense isn't towards the current company I'm working with. I've been very helpful to the investigation as...

Second theft 2 offense [ 3 Answers ]

I was cited for shoplifting in 2005 went to court and they gave me house arrest, theft therapy, and a fine. Last week I went to Safeway and was cited for shoplifting under $250 theft 2 and I am to appear in court next week I live in Oregon. I have not had a job in 7 months and I am on medication...

First offense theft under 16 yrs old? [ 3 Answers ]

I got caught stealing over 100 dollars of stuff, was supposed to pay a fine, but didn't. This was over a year ago, and nobody has called me or mailed me telling me to pay the fine. I was under 16 when it happened, and it was my first offense. I am now trying to get a job and am worried they may do...

Second offense but different theft [ 8 Answers ]

My first offense was about 1000 with court cost judge gave me restituion and plus they got the laptop back. Recently at my job for year,I needed another shirt for my job,but forgot to pay for it.it was $9.99.now want to say iwas shoplifting what do you think the judge will do.Since thi is a...

Petty theft [ 7 Answers ]

It has been 6 years now since this happened is there anyway to erase it from my files or not have it show up during background check. I know the answer is prob. No but I thought I would ask. It was for a bag that was $500 bux and I had to serve 2 days in jail...

View more questions Search