Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamscared Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Theft over $5000 first offense
    Hi,

I am likely going to be charged with theft over $5000 in Alberta. Again it is my first offense. I recently graduated from university and recently started a new job as an engineer. The offense isn't towards the current company I'm working with. I've been very helpful to the investigation as well. In order to become a professional engineer I need to have a clean criminal record. Will the judge likely sentence me to a conditional discharge?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamscared
    hi,

I am likely going to be charged with theft over $5000 in Alberta. Again it is my first offense. I recently graduated from university and recently started a new job as an engineer. The offense isn't towards the current company I'm working with. I've been very helpful to the investigation as well. In order to become a professional engineer I need to have a clean criminal record. Will the judge likely sentence me to a conditional discharge?

I would not say anything to anyone or proceed with this at all without an Attorney - not with that dollar amount and a professional license involved.

I find this to be the Law since 2007 (I am not in Canada) and don't find that's been amended or changed in any way.

"CanLII - Fédéral - R.S.C. 1985, c. C-46 - Section 334

Quote:
    334. Except where otherwise provided by law, every one who commits theft
    (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, where the property stolen is a testamentary instrument or the value of what is stolen exceeds five thousand dollars; or
    (b) is guilty
    (i) of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or
    (ii) of an offence punishable on summary conviction,
    where the value of what is stolen does not exceed five thousand dollars. "
    iamscared Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Thanks for the response, judykaytee, however, I have already talked to an officer about what I've done in the past. They told me that I will be likely to receive a charge of theft over $5000, however the judge might consider that I was helpful to the investigation and that I have a good job.

I am going to contact legal services before going to court however. I just wanted some opinions on whether it is common for judges to be leanient in my situation.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamscared
    thanks for the response, judykaytee, however, I have already talked to an officer about what I've done in the past. they told me that I will be likely to receive a charge of theft over $5000, however the judge might consider that I was helpful to the investigation and that I have a good job.

I am going to contact legal services before going to court however. I just wanted some opinions on whether it is common for judges to be leanient in my situation.

Unfortunately, you just never know - I think a lenient Judge today is having a bad day tomorrow and you pay the brunt of it.

Being sincerely repentant goes a long way, too.

Just don't incriminate yourself with the Police.
    Smoked Posts: 157, Reputation: 29

Sep 18, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Just don't incriminate yourself with the Police.
    I might be reading too much into this, but sounds like the police might have been working him to build the case. Just a thought.

Oh, and I don't use the best grammar when posting on this site. So Judy please don't quote me in your sig haha
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoked
    I might be reading to much into this, but sounds like the police might have been working him to build the case. Just a thought.

Oh, and I don't use the best grammar when posting on this site. So Judy please don't quote me in your sig haha

No, if it would be you I'd probably have to pay you royalties (or something). So if you haven't received a check, it's not you. :D

But if you come up with something better, I'm happy to use it!
    krystlep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 11:10 AM
    I was charged with theft over 5000 and I was the person that did the transaction with the stolen credit card , although I was threaten to take action in this matter , my court day is just around the corner and I'm scared of what the crown is going to tell me about my case I'm afraid to do any time . Does anyone know what you think they might suggest as a first time offender.?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000, canada, first offense, 18yrs old [ 2 Answers ]

I went to my local WALMART which I used to work at today got so stupid and taught I could get a way with stealing a TV, a 42 inch TV that was worth 1200 bucks, that was my first time shoplifting anything, just because I wanted to get back at the store, so after buying some milk I just put it on the...

Theft under 5000. 1st offense (Canada) [ 10 Answers ]

Well, I am 20 years old and today I was caught taking 2 power bars from a supermarket. I was low on cash and thought I could get away with it and save a few bucks. I was wrong. This is my first offense. I have a court date for 5 weeks from now and I get finger printed in a few days. I told them...

1st Offense ever theft over $5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to be charged with stealing money from work using credit card refunds to my personal account. The total is over 5k and under 20k. I have only been arrested before for a dui. I think I can pay it all back before I get charged. What am I looking at as far as being arrested. I live in...

Theft under 5000, second offense [ 3 Answers ]

Three years ago, I got caught shoplifting a package of beef jerky. I was charged with theft under 5000. It was my first offense, and with a lawyer's help, successfully pleaded not guilty. I have no criminal record currently. I had to attend an anti-shoplifting seminar, write a report on it, as...

View more questions Search