Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffsparks Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Recessed lighting
    My living room is on a 15 amp breaker. 1 ceiling fan and 11 outlets. Can I pull power from 1 outlet and install 2 3" recessed lights over my bookshelves? Also if this application is acceptable, can I use romex wire to make the connections?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2008, 06:17 AM

Sure, maybe to a switch first?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 11:22 AM

A word of caution. If the cans are going to be surrounded by insulation make sure you get the correct fixture. Some fixtures require that they not be covered by insulation and others do not have that restriction.

Nov 5, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    A word of caution. If the cans are going to be surrounded by insulation make sure you get the correct fixture. Some fixtures require that they not be covered by insulation and others do not have that restriction.
    I think a 3 " recessed only comes in non-ic. Can I just move the insulation? Also will the breaker hold this load, or should I go with a low voltage light?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 07:07 AM

I believe that the breaker will be fine, providing that you have completed a reasonably decent analysis of the load.

Yes, you can move the insulation away from the cans. Make sure the insulation is at least 2" away in all directions from each can.

Nov 5, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    I believe that the breaker will be fine, providing that you have completed a reasonably decent analysis of the load.

Yes, you can move the insulation away from the cans. Make sure the insulation is at least 2" away in all directions from each can.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 09:06 AM
    If your fixture is NON-IC Rated, by reviewing the installation instructions, you will discover that any insulation must be a minimum of THREE inches away, in all directions, thus complying with NEC 2008 Section 410.116 (B).

Nov 5, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    If your fixture is NON-IC Rated, by reviewing the installation instructions, you will discover that any insulation must be a minimum of THREE inches away, in all directions, thus complying with NEC 2008 Section 410.116 (B).
    Should I go with a low voltage light? I have the ceiling fan with light, TV, cable box, dvd player, and plug in the vacuum cleaner to clean.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 03:08 PM
    What difference will a low voltage light make? A watt is a watt and heat is heat.

Nov 6, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    What difference will a low voltage light make? A watt is a watt and heat is heat.
    Hey stan I appreciate your advise. I was thinking maybe low voltage would be less load on the breaker, but you make a good point . Thanks again for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting on Dimmers [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit dedicated for 16 6" Halo IC recessed lights in my basement. To control these recessed lights, I installed one 3 way dimmer that controls 8 of the recessed light and the other 8 recessed lights are controlled by a regular single switch dimmer. Currently both dimmers work...

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Recessed Lighting [ 4 Answers ]

I don't have any electrical boxes in my ceilings in any of the rooms in my house. I would like to install recessed lighting in family room, kitchen, and living room. What is ballpark costs to have this installed? ? I would also like to get ceiling fans installed in the 4 bedrooms. What is...

Recessed lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I am renovating the kitchen and would like to know in a kitchen with the dimensions of 14ft by 11ft space how many ceiling lights would be required? Is there a minimum that you should have for that amt of space and how far from the wall should they be and how far apart from each other. Thank you

Recessed lighting for playroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 11X14 bedroom which I am converting into a playroom. I want to install 6 inch recessed cans. I would like to know how I should layout this room using either six or eight cans. Any help and/or suggestions is appreciated.

View more questions Search