Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottcrew Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Sudden loss of pressure, hot water, affects only 1 faucet
    Our bathroom sink never seemed to have this trouble before and not sure when it started.
    The hot water will flow fine as long as the water flowing out is not hot, but still "warming up". Once it gets so HOT water is flowing, there is a sudden loss of pressure and an awful noise and vibration.
    If cold and hot are run together, it does not do this.

What could the problem be?

TIA!
    Scottcrew
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Hi Scott,
    One or two handled faucet? Brand name? How old? Back to you, Tom

Oct 27, 2008, 06:18 AM

Two handled, brand unknown, approx 5-8 yrs old.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcrew View Post
    Two handled, brand unknown, approx 5-8 yrs old.
    Sounds like you have some crud under the seat or a broken washer that's vibrating as the water goes past it. Here's what you have in the hot water side, (see image). Turn the water off to the hot side and open up the faucet.
    If the washer's cracked or in pieces then replace it. Now place a pan over the open valve and turn the water back on to flush out any crud that may still be in there. Reassemble and test. Better now?

Oct 27, 2008, 07:58 AM

Haven't tried it, yet, it may be a day or 2.
    But, my question is why won't it do this when the water is still cold or lukewarm coming out, but only once the water gets hot?
    It won't do it, also, when I have both the cold and hot handles open? Another thing is that the hot handle has to be fully open or almost fully open before it will do it, either.
    So why would a washer cause that?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottcrew View Post
    Haven't tried it, yet, it may be a day or 2.
    But, my question is why won't it do this when the water is still cold or lukewarm coming out, but only once the water gets hot?
    It won't do it, also, when I have both the cold and hot handles open? Another thing is that the hot handle has to be fully open or almost fully open before it will do it, either.
    So why would a washer cause that?
    I don't know! Sounds like the pressure change has something to do with it. That's why you have to open iit up. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

I was using a shower, one of two in my home, and the water pressure suddenly dropped quite considerably. So much so that it made it difficult to finnish my shower. The other shower works fine and there doesn't seem to be any other water problems in the house. What could the problem be?

Sudden loss of hot water pressure [ 5 Answers ]

We have a new home (1.5 years) with gas WH. When awoke this AM no hot water pressure from any tap on main floor or lower level (cold was fine). Opened and closed most of the taps in the house on both levels but just a dribble or nothing. Then suddenly a loud "clunk" and now pressure is fine. ...

Sudden loss of water pressure at kitchen faucet [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: The water pressure in my new house (3 yrs old) is perfect. Last week I did a load of dishes in the dish washer which went fine. The same day, following the complete cycle of the washer, I noticed the water pressure at the kitchen sink faucet had diminished 50%. Wondering if it...

Sudden Water Pressure Loss [ 4 Answers ]

I woke up this morning and noticed a significant loss in the water pressure in my house. The water is coming out of the faucets at less than half it's normal pressure and the water going to our irrigation system had such low pressure that the sprinkler heads would not even rotate. I have zero...

Sudden loss of hot & cold water pressure in one faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Recently the pressure in both the hot and cold faucets on one bathroom sink dropped to almost nothing. We replaced the very old faucet with a new one but it did no good. We still have just the tiniest trickle out of both hot and cold. The tub and toilet in the same room are not affected. The...

View more questions Search