Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbieshouse Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Sudden loss of water pressure
    I was using a shower, one of two in my home, and the water pressure suddenly dropped quite considerably. So much so that it made it difficult to finnish my shower. The other shower works fine and there doesn't seem to be any other water problems in the house. What could the problem be?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Does this shower valve have a pressure or temperature sensing feature to it? In other words could you be running out of hot water and the valve is cutting back on the cold water to keep the water mix the correct temperature?

Jul 30, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Does this shower valve have a pressure or temperature sensing feature to it? In other words could you be running out of hot water and the valve is cutting back on the cold water to keep the water mix the correct temperature?

Not that I am aware of. Ive been at this house for over a year now and have never had this problem. Also the pressure has stayed this way ever since. When I go to turn it on again it starts up strong just for one or two seconds than drops again.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Sounds like your mixer got plugged by some debris in the incoming lines. Do you know how to pull the handle, escutcheon plate and cartridge?

Aug 1, 2008, 09:08 PM
    No, is it that involved?
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

Aug 1, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Hello debbie, did you check the shower head? If not take the shower head off to check if there is debre plugging the screen, sometimes the lines will flake off calcium or rust buildup and it will flow into the shower head. Good luck---------Zeke
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Truck has a point but usually calcium build up would not be so abrupt but its not impossible. Remove the shower head and see iof there is a good stream, if so clean the shower head b soaking in vinegar or CLR. If there is a poor stream with the head removed we will be pulling the cartridge and yes that means handle, escutcheon plate too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of hot water pressure [ 5 Answers ]

We have a new home (1.5 years) with gas WH. When awoke this AM no hot water pressure from any tap on main floor or lower level (cold was fine). Opened and closed most of the taps in the house on both levels but just a dribble or nothing. Then suddenly a loud "clunk" and now pressure is fine. ...

Sudden loss of water pressure - have well [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well - just moved "to the country". This morning, water pressure was VERY low throughout the house, including filtered refrigerator water, sinks, showers, etc. then eventually NO WATER comes out. Where do I begin trying to figure out the problem? What type of professional should I...

Sudden Loss of Water Pressure [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago we lost water pressure throughout the house and yard (sprinklers). Both hot and cold are affected. My house was built in 1999, copper pipes, we do have water softener (it was without salt for about 2 months), we use city water. The city checked the pressure at the street end and...

Sudden Water Pressure Loss [ 4 Answers ]

I woke up this morning and noticed a significant loss in the water pressure in my house. The water is coming out of the faucets at less than half it's normal pressure and the water going to our irrigation system had such low pressure that the sprinkler heads would not even rotate. I have zero...

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house. ...

View more questions Search