Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xanzyx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 11:43 AM
    I think he's selfish
    Hi,

Can anyone help? My husband's dad recently had a stroke and has now unfortunately had to go into a nursing home. Before he had the stroke, I strongly urged my husband to visit him more often seeing he lived on his own. My husband gets to see him in the summer and at christmas time. To him, this is enough. To me, it's way too few times to see a loving parent.

Now that my Father in law is in a nursing home, I expect my husband to visit more often but he doesn't. To be fair, we live very far from the nursing home and train journeys are about 3/4 hours one way. And with work commitments, this gets difficult.

However, what I find strange, is that my husband when he visits. Doesn't get to spend much time with his dad. He probably spends 2 hours if not less and is out. Recently, he's been on holiday and so took the week off to visit his dad. But he saw him alternately. To me this translates to someone who doesn't appreciate the importance of being there for your parent when they need you. I feel so bad, at times, I hate him. WE've argued about it so much and I feel awful. I just want him to be more caring. I know if it were my dad, and he'd been a great parent, I would be there all the time I could and spend at least half a day with him.

Now am worried that if I ever get hospitalised, my husband will not give me the care and attention I feel he should. AM I right to worry or am I expecting too much?
    :(
    posey_84 Posts: 202, Reputation: 15

Oct 18, 2008, 06:17 AM

Could your husband maybe not have as good a realationship with his father as you think he does? Or maybe he just finds it uncomfortable with his father being in a nursing home and doesn't know how to deal with the situation.
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Oct 18, 2008, 09:42 AM

I agree with posey...

I assume you know what kind of relationship he has with his father, but perhaps there are things he hasn't told you, things he doesn't like to discuss or care to think about?

He might also not like seeing his father in that state. Chances are, he still sees his father as a source or strength and it's a hard situation for him...

Have you ever asked why it is that he doesn't wish to spend more time with his father? Did you tell him your concerns about yourself?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 11:44 AM

My dear, you should drop this whole line of thinking, and forget it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm just being selfish, right? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure all of you have better things to do than read my complaining~ :o Lately I've been feeling very... stressed out? I don't know. But sometimes I just think that being dead is just so much easier than having to go through and deal with what happens in life. I'm too scared of the actual...

Am I selfish [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I've been dating my friend off and on since December. We took a class together and on the very last day I asked her out, before I had hardly talked to her. We dated for two weeks, she dumped me for someone in another country. There was some time that I did not talk to her, maybe a...

Would it be selfish? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, here's the thing. My girlfriend and I have been going out close to a year. (9 months and twelve days to be exact.) and today is my birthday (I turn 22) and I was wondering if I hypothetically if I were to ask her if she were ready to have sex, would that make me look like "one of those guys"...

Is it selfish? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it selfish to just elope and not invite anyone to the wedding? I like small weddings but if it was up to my fiancé we would have 500+ at the reception/weddings. I can think of a lot of better things to do with that money.

Selfish, self-centered boyfriend=selfish, self-centered husband [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has done many things to hurt me. To begin, he lied about who he was when we were dating. We were young and in college; he pretended to not smoke, get drunk, and go to church regularly. Thus, we seemed to have so much in common. We talked for hours; he swept me off my feet with...

View more questions Search