Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkny17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Is my boyfriend an alcoholic?
    My boyfriend is a passionate guy, about things he loves. Good Beer is one of his biggest passions. When he is with me, family, or in a low key environement he is content having one or two drinks.

The problem is when he goes out with his guys. HE comes home absolutely wasted , unable to speak, and binge eats, and then blacks out. This happens almost once a week, but only when with friends. I can't tell if it's a "guy" thing, or if he has a major problem. Im starting to think it is one though, and I just told his sister and mother about it.

Im really struggling because when I tel him about the problem he is in denial , and its always the same excuses. He says, "Im bored, im tired, i work so hard, etc. " He said if anyone tried to intervene he wouldn't listen and that he could control it, but I'm not so sure he could. Im near the end and ready to give up. I don't want to be brought down anymore from this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 02:55 PM

If he can't or won't control his drinking and it's adversely affecting his life - yes, he's an alcoholic.

The black outs are a very bad sign that something is shutting down when he drinks to excess.

I will add that he's not drinking because he enjoys "good beer." This is why the first two rounds at weddings are top shelf and after that... they are not. Because after the first two people are drinking in order to drink and they can't tell good from mediocre.
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Oct 13, 2008, 03:06 PM

If he can not stop himself from drinking to the point of passing out then I'm sorry but yes that is a problem. Problem being alcoholism. Most people think that an alcoholic is someone who drinks every single day. That is not true. Alcoholism is when someone can not stop. There are three things to ask himself. Is it effecting his family,work or relationship? If he answers yes to any of those, that's a problem.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 13, 2008, 06:49 PM

He is in denial he won't admitt he ahs a drinking problem its good you told him mom and sister hopefully they become more aware of his problem. He definitely sounds like and alcoholic. You need help go talk to the nearest drug prevention agency or some one through AA and it would be awesome if you took his mom or sis with you.. You guys might want to have an intervention... This is a diease and it takes the most wonderful people and turns them in to monsters. I also would suggest going to alanon for you and his mom, its for people who are a victim of a addict it really helps and answers so many questions... He needs help and support its not easy but the having a clean and sober boyfriend is soooo worth the pain... Good luck to you
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 18, 2008, 08:09 PM

There's a fine line between heavy drinking and alcoholism. Unfortunately, most people who aren't alcoholics really aren't qualified to know the difference.

Have you gone to an Alinon meeting, or even an AA meeting to ask for help?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2008, 08:20 PM

To be honest, I have lots of friends who do this same thing. Sure, I have a drink or two every night, when I get back from work, and yes, I've blacked out before (a few times)... granted, I was in college, and it has happened when I was out with my friends.

I don't consider myself an alcoholic (but then again, I don't know many legit alcoholics who confess that they are).

The weekly blacking out ritual is a bit too much, I would say. If it was some sort of a celebration, guys night out, or some event, then perhaps I'd understand... but every time he goes out? Questionable.

I consider an alcoholic a person who has to drink to function... and he may not be too far behind from it. I suggest you talk to him about this seriously... express your concern for him; don't try to accuse him of doing anything or condemn his behavior.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think my boyfriend might be an alcoholic [ 40 Answers ]

I'm at a real low point in my life because I think my boyfriend is an alcoholic. He would never admit it, but isn't that how the problems start? I have an alcoholic mother who has drunk from the tender age of 16; she is now 68 and is blind in 1 eye and losing sight in the other. Her health has...

My boyfriend is an alcoholic [ 9 Answers ]

I have been with my current boyfriend for about 9 months now. He has always like to drink and party and then one night he got his 2nd DUI while still on parole. Luckily his p. officer didn't make him finish his sentence but instead gave him house arrest and when he went to court he was forced to go...

Alcoholic boyfriend [ 13 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for awhile I know he used to be an alcoholic but he stopped drinking for awhile. He just recently moved in with a friend of his and he started drinking occasionally. I think his alcoholism has come back but I don't know how to approach it or how to get him...

My Boyfriend is al alcoholic [ 12 Answers ]

We have been together for 2 years, and he is in rehab again. I know what many if you will be thinking, leave him, but I do go to Alanon, and have made the decision to stay for now. Anyway, We had an argument last week because I had said I was not sure about US. He got very angry, defensive and said...

My boyfriend is an alcoholic [ 8 Answers ]

My name is Amanda. I am seventeen and my boyfriend just turned twenty and is an alcoholic. A few months ago he was drinking three of four beers every night. Some night he would just get wasted. He went to an AA meeting and realized that he has a problem. He cried to me and apologized for hurting...

View more questions Search