Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcintron63 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Abandonment
    My daughter has abandon her 2 children 4 and 2 years of age what can I do to get custody or guardianship I don't have money but what is the best way to do this ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2008, 12:44 PM

Where are the children now?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 01:02 PM

Where is the father of the children, he would normally have first right to ask for custody of his children.

Have you asked daughter to sign over temp custody of the children to you

Oct 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Where are the children now?
    The children are living with me I take care of them but I need some way to get medical insurance for them and what ever else is necessary how can I go about that thank you
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2008, 04:11 PM

What relation to the children are you? Where is the father? Where is the mother? Those are all important detail in this situation because you can't really just hop online and get papers done. It is pretty common to need to go to court which is always easier to get a lawyer but if you are looking to save on money then we are going to need more detail.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2008, 06:00 AM

Bottomline is custody or guardianship has to be ordered by a court. Without knowing the whole story here. Why the children are with you, where is their father, etc. Its hard to advise whether you need an attorney or not.

You might start with your local children's or family services agency and ask what you need to do to get, at least, guardianship so you can add them to your medical insurance.

Oct 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    What relation to the children are you? Where is the father? Where is the mother? Those are all important detail in this situation because you can't really just hop online and get papers done. It is pretty common to need to go to court which is always easier to get a lawyer but if you are looking to save on money then we are going to need more detail.
    OK I am their grandmother the father I don't know where he is at he has not been around since the children been born they have 2 different fathers, the mother left for chicago don't know exactly where at she calls once month to say she is fine that is about it. If you need anything else let me know money wise its hard for me. Thank you
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2008, 03:17 PM

Do you have a number for their mother? If so see if she will come back long enough to get the guardianship stuff taken care of. If not then you will have to go to court and prove that you have had the kids for this long and petition the judge to award you with guardianship of the children. Once you have that you can get their insurance and more importantly you can take the next step legally which would be to file for custody/child support. You can petition the judge for child support from the mother and the fathers because you are raising their kids. I'm not saying it will be a lot but anything can help I know how expensive kids are.

Oct 14, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    Do you have a number for their mother? If so see if she will come back long enought to get the guardianship stuff taken care of. If not then you will have to go to court and prove that you have had the kids for this long and petition the judge to award you with guardianship of the children. Once you have that you can get their insurance and more importantly you can take the next step legally which would be to file for custody/child support. You can petition the judge for child support from the mother and the fathers because you are raising their kids. I'm not saying it will be alot but anything can help I know how expensive kids are.
    What exactly will I need she left by the geyhound bus on 7/12/08. I would like to thank you for your answer it was very helpful again thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment in TX [ 4 Answers ]

What amount of time is abandonment in tx?

Abandonment [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I have a situation in which my step daughter's biological mother who's has not seen my step daughter or given any type of child support in over 10 years is now trying to say she wants to exercise her right to supervised visitation as specified in her divorce papers-10 years ago. We actually...

Abandonment.what can I do [ 3 Answers ]

I have a one year old daughter and her father has not been in her life since I kicked him out of my house after she was born because I was not going to support him. My dilemma is the lawyer I talked to said that they won't take his rights away and I am not sure why. I figure this is straight...

Abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Texas been living hear for 7 months my ex lives in Arizona I've had my kids for 2 years and she has not seen them in 2 years since I have been gone she has had one abortion and now she is giving a baby up for adoption I need to know if this fuls under abandonment in the state of Texas

Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

My ex have not seen my (our son) since he was born, he's two now. Would this be consider abandonment? How long until it is considered abandonment. We live in California. Thank you for your time and answer.

View more questions Search