Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dem124 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Abandonment.what can I do
    I have a one year old daughter and her father has not been in her life since I kicked him out of my house after she was born because I was not going to support him. My dilemma is the lawyer I talked to said that they won't take his rights away and I am not sure why. I figure this is straight abandonment since he doesn't send any support, doesn't call, contact or see her at all. I want my husband to adopt her but I can't until I get his rights terminated. Any ideas on how I can terminate his rights, I don't even know where he lives... Suggestions?:confused: :confused: I really want to get this done with and go on with our lives.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 07:50 PM
    The reason they can not take his rights away, merely not paying child support or not visiting the child is not grounds for taking away someone rights.

In fact do you even have a court order of child support? So you file for custody if you have not already, and get a child support order in place
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jul 29, 2008, 10:01 AM
    I'm going to ask the hottest question: "WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN". My advice to you would be to contact your county or state agency for family services. They will advise you best for your jurisdiction. The state that I live in allows after a certain period (one year probably not long enough) for you to give proper notice... serving the person by legal notice in the last known county that they lived in. This could very well be different in your area and my advice would be to contact your local agency. The sooner the better so you can establish your intentions over the required time frame.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Abandonment can be a grounds for getting a TPR, depending on your state, but its rare that one is granted, especially involuntarily.

There are ways, however, to get the rights terminated. Since you need an attorney to prepare the adoption peitition, have one take care of the TPR as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two daughters that live w/ their mother in Indiana and I have not been able to help in money matters for a while . I have helped with clothing and other things I just haven't handed their mother money in any way in a long time.I moved to another state to get a better job so that I could help...

Abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Texas been living hear for 7 months my ex lives in Arizona I've had my kids for 2 years and she has not seen them in 2 years since I have been gone she has had one abortion and now she is giving a baby up for adoption I need to know if this fuls under abandonment in the state of Texas

Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

My ex have not seen my (our son) since he was born, he's two now. Would this be consider abandonment? How long until it is considered abandonment. We live in California. Thank you for your time and answer.

Is this abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

HI I have 4 children ages 8, 4, 3, 1 my 8 and 4 year old are from a previous relationship I left my ex when my 4 year old was 3 months old. And my boyfriend is the only father the 4 year old knows. The first year my ex and I separated he stuck to our agreement that he would take his kids every...

Abandonment [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: Can someone tell me the advantages and benefits of having a parent declared to have abandoned his children? excon

View more questions Search