Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1mohottie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Hair color and highlighting
    I have put a brown hair color on my hair and was wondering if a blond or light brown highlighting kit would work on my hair. I don't know much about how everything reacts with everything else. Maybe I should ask this question also. I have brown hair naturally, but my hair has been heavily highlighted with blonde over the years. I had major brown roots, so I used an all-over blonde color on my hair. It turned the highlighted parts a lighter color, but my roots had a reddish cast to them, kind of a strawberry blond, so that is why I used an all-over brown color, to even my hair color out. I would still really like to have heavy blond highlights, but don't know how to accomplish this. And also, if that worked, how do I go about getting my roots to match the next time I color my hair? Sorry, this is way more than one question, but I have no clue what to do with my hair. It had been professionally highlighted for years, but I am trying to save a lot of money by doing it myself. Help, please!
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Sep 21, 2008, 05:44 AM

You can perhaps go to a college or beauty school to get your hair done. Explain the situation to them so they get a good idea of what's happened to your hair. The prices are really cheap.

I think trying to sort your hair out at home may be difficult.
    If you decide to highlight your hair at home, it may turn out uneven as you've already had it highlighted before, the previously highlighted bits will turn out lighter. Therefore making it uneven.
    sandyspacecase Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Sep 21, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Hi,it isn't to hard to do it yourself. I have never even been to a hair salon but my sisters are beautisons and I have watched them highlighting their hair. You could buy a professional kit from a beauty supply store,but those are a little expensive . I get the supermarket special that has both in one pack. I'll tell you how to do your roots first.Depending on how thick,long your hair is (mine is very fine and thin) divide it into four ,or how many sections you need, and clip with a plastic clip. Never metal. Then mix the base color,and first put some on your parts. Don't put it on the rest yet,only the parts. Then by each section divide each section using the tip of the color bottle into 1/4 rows and put the color on the roots. When that is all finished, loosely pile your hair on your head and wait for twenty minuites,and for grey hair leave on a extra ten min. Then after that ,put the rest of the color on the rest of your hair,and wait five more minutes. Now (I rince my hair in the kitchen sink) add a little warm water and work into a lather,then rince until clear. After that ,put some conditioner on it,but only a little .Wait three minutes. then rince. Then you are going to put in the highlights. Towel dry your hair,and comb into your normal style.Mix the highlights together, (will look like cake frosting) and using the wand they supply, brush it onto the strands you want highlighted. Start in front,and work your way to the back of your head. Wait anywhere from ten minutes. to twenty minutes. Depending on how light you want the strands. When time is up, rince and condition and you are all done. Looks good too! You can just buy each thing separate,the highlights, and even just root touch up, but you pay just as much for that as you would the whole kit. Byee

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Highlighting bleached hair [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter bleached her hair about four weeks ago and we had to rince it off very quickly because it burnt her scalp, most of her hair did bleach apart from some of her hair unerneath. Will it be OK now to just highlight her hair on top of the bleach or will it go wrong

Highlighting red hair. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I have a question regarding highlighting. I am naturally a strawberry/golden blonde---(I have a lot of naturally red shades along with some really light blonde, dark, and golden blond strands... ) A few months back I decided I wanted to do something different and daring and so I bought a box...

Hair highlighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have two tones of hair color my original and the color I dyed my hair with months ago and I wanted to go to the salon and get it highlighted should I color my base hair color before I go and get my highlights done it would be cheaper

Stripping my hair color then dying it AND highlighting it? [ 2 Answers ]

I've dyed my hair many times myself from brown to blonde and now I'm brown again. My hair is a little fried from all the dying and straightening. I just want to go to a salon and finally have them do my hair, I think because I've dyed my hair so many times though they will probably strip the color...

Highlighting Dark Hair [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sure there is already a forum for this so sorry peeps. I've naturally got medium to dark brown hair, I dyed it not long ago and it looks slightly black though I'm wanting to get some highlights to help lighten it. I want to gradually lighten. Any suggestions on colouring or how I should...

View more questions Search