Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ploomis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Connecting a ceiling fan to a switch dedicated for electrical outlets
    I'm trying to hook up a new ceiling fan to an existing switch that has been dedicated to two electrical outlets. I've hooked the whites together the black to the switch with the other black which leaves the existing red and ground. Fan works but only when the switch is shut off. Can someone please help me?
    boricuadelakeci Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 12:53 PM
    You hooked it up backwards!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Is there another switch that also controls the outlets?

Tell us what is in the switch box.

Tell us like this;

There is one 2-wire cable with a black and a white wire, there is one 3-wire cable with a black, white and red wire;
    Or
    There is one 3-wire cable with a black, a white and a red wire.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2008, 06:13 PM
    HK hit on the head what I was thinking.

I LOVE the response above him though, classic!

Sep 7, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Not backwards though, just up side down. The electrons got confused.
    gvidela Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 11:02 PM
    Hi we are having the a similar issue. Hubby is trying to tap into the light switch which is dedicated already. When the switch is off and you try to turn the 3 way fan on .the plug turns on the lamp (plugged in) and dims it in the 3 way format according to the fan. Can't seem to get the fan to work at all though. Sometype of Loop? How do you fix?
    fan of the fans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ploomis
    I'm trying to hook up a new ceiling fan to an existing switch that has been dedicated to two electrical outlets. I've hooked the whites together the black to the switch with the other black which leaves the existing red and ground. Fan works but only when the switch is shut off. Can someone please help me?
    I found this site to be really helpful when I was buying and installing a new ceiling fan recently: csnceilingfans.com/Ceiling-Fan-Buying-Guide-A38.html#HowInstall]Ceiling Fans - Outdoor & Casablanca Ceiling Fans, Ceiling Fan Blades: Ceiling Fan Buying Guide, Helpful Selection Tips for Purchasing Ceiling Fans - CSN Ceiling Fans

It's a basic installation overview, but it worked for me!

Sep 8, 2008, 05:58 AM
    gvidela,
    Repost and start you own thread. This one is ploomis' thread. We are old and get confused when we don't know who we are talking to. Describe wires in switch box. It porbably doesn't work because you don't have a neutral in the switch box. Repost describing wires.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fan of the fans
    I found this site to be really helpful when I was buying and installing a new ceiling fan recently: csnceilingfans.com/Ceiling-Fan-Buying-Guide-A38.html#HowInstall]Ceiling Fans - Outdoor & Casablanca Ceiling Fans, Ceiling Fan Blades: Ceiling Fan Buying Guide, Helpful Selection Tips for Purchasing Ceiling Fans - CSN Ceiling Fans

It's a basic installation overview, but it worked for me!
    Nothing helpful or relevant on that site at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting ceiling fan and light to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

The wall switch for my ceiling fan recently broke (it wouldn't change the speed of the fan anymore), so I bought a new one. The fan also has a light. The new wall switch instructions simply say to connect the blue wire to the fan red to the light, black to the HOT. Then the diagram shows a neutral...

Trace a dedicated electrical circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Here it is! I have a time clock at work for the emplyees which is getting power from an outlet. I want to make sure the clock is not sharing power with other outlets I want to find out without shutting power off to time clock (unpluggint it) Thank you DAN:

Connecting dual wall switch ceiling fans [ 3 Answers ]

Fan wiring instructions are not all-inclusive. I am replacing a light fixture with a fan/light combo in a room with separate fan and light wall switches. House wiring to fixture is four wire, ground, white, black and red. Red and white were in service for light fixture, with black being idle. ...

Connecting Ceiling Fan to Wall Switch [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced a ceiling fan in one of my bedrooms, in the process of removing the old fan, some of the wires got loose, so I was not sure how to hook up the new fan. I have 3 white and 4 black wires coming out of the ceiling of the bedroom, I connected all black in the ceiling to the black wire on the...

Electrical hookup at switch with installing ceiling fan. [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed the ceiling fan with the light. I need to know what the correct color code connection is for the wall outlet. I have a switch for the fan and a switch for the lights. I also need to know the coding for the switch for the outlet on the other side of the room. How do I wire the...

View more questions Search