Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherrybaby1956 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 11:56 PM
    Electrical hookup at switch with installing ceiling fan.
    I've installed the ceiling fan with the light. I need to know what the correct color code connection is for the wall outlet. I have a switch for the fan and a switch for the lights. I also need to know the coding for the switch for the outlet on the other side of the room. How do I wire the second switch as well?

I thought I had it but the switch keeps blowing a breaker.

Thank you in advance!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2006, 09:54 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean by "color code".. . How did you hook the fan up at the ceiling? Theoretically the same wires that connected to the fan in the ceiling should terminate in the switch box, and you will also have an additional black and white from the power source.

You would connect:
    Black from the power source to one terminal of each switch
    Black from the fan to the other terminal of one switch
    Red from the fan to the other terminal of the other switch
    White to white

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing fan and light switch for ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install a switch that controls both the ceiling fan with 3 speeds and a dimmer switch all in one unit for a hunter ceiling fan. At the wall switch there is a black wire which is always hot, a red and a ground. At the ceiling, where I removed a light fixture, there is a black, red,...

Ceiling Fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

The switch chain broke off and I replaced the brokenswitch with a different switch that I saved from an old fan that was thrown away. The broken (old) switch had four wires (L - black... 1 - orange... 2 - purple... 3 - yellow). The new/ replacement has only 3 wires. I foolishly failed to mark the...

Ceiling Fan Wiring To Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new ceiling fan in a room where the switch previously controlled only an outlet and there was no power directly at the switch, only at the outlet. At the switch box I wired the two white wires together and then wired the black wires, one each, to the screws on the switch. The...

Need help installing ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Have a hampton bay fan w/ One white wire-neutral One blue- lamp One black- fan In junction box have 2 capped blacks 2 single whites

Installing a 230v electircal switch [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a 230 volt, 30 amp, electrical switch on a power washer power supply. I have triped the breaker many time with the installation I performed. I am looking for a schematic on how this switch should be wired properly. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search