Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovinmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Feeling helpless... again
    Hello everyone. I will try to make this as short as possible. I am a 39 year old married mom of 4 children ages 10, 13, 17, and 20. The 20 year old recently moved out. Here is my story:
    Last April I found out my husband of 14 years was cheating on me. We separated (he left me). I begged him to stay and we could work on things. He left anyway and about a month later, he moves the ow in our house, and she is pregnant by him. We have 2 houses, so I moved in the one that was more convenient to me and the kids. My kids and I went through so much grief in the past year. The ow had the baby in December. I thought I would lose my mind through all this. I never dated anyone (didnt want to), never went out. All I done was take care of my kids and try to entertain them to keep things off their minds. My husband would attend their ballgames, take them to movies, and that was about it. He did support us financially. I made it through and was just beginning to get used to the fact that he was not coming back, when all of a sudden he mentions about us getting back together. I love this man so much and so do my kids, that I was so happy. He has been home 3 weeks now. I knew it would be different, but seems as if I am the only one trying to make things work. I am holding everything together. He has been sleeping in the spare bedroom, we have not done anything together, just us or as a family. He acts as if he doesn't want to be around me. He never kisses me goodbye when he goes to work like he used to. He is on edge all the time. but yet he won't confide in me what the problem is. When he first came back, he said he wanted to try to make it up to me and the kids for the year that he left us. Said he didn't want to be with another woman. He wanted a family life. It has been anything but that.
    I have busted my butt trying to do everything to please him. I have been walking on pins and needles, afraid he will leave again if something goes wrong. I am trying to keep a tidy house, run all the errands , take kids to practices and games, cooking good hearty meals. I practically wait on him hand and foot. But it seems as nothing I do matters. He is not even trying to make things work. Today is the Kentucky Derby, he goes to the track, I told him I would like to go, but he acted like he didn't want me to, so I didn't go. I was so hurt. We had a very small argument and he says "I will just come back later and get my things and leave." It wasn't really an argument, just me wanting to know what was going on in his head (thinking).Anyway, the question is... is there anything I can do or say to him that would make him change his behavior towards me? If he leaves us again, I just don't know if I can be that strong again. All I want is my family together and doing family things together once in a while at least. Should I just let him go? Or keep holding on ? I am in need of advice and help please!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Hi, lovinmom,
    I am 64 yrs old, divorced after my 1st 7 yrs of marriage, waited 3 years, and now re-married for 29 yrs. Life throws us a bunch of curves sometimes, and it's all in how we handle it.
    Doing family things, as you once did, as you said yourself, was really over when your husband started cheating on you! I thought my life had come to an end, when I was divorced, breaking up a family with two small boys, 5 and 6 yrs old. The type of family life I had known, since I was a child, was over. I wouldn't have a chance to have the same type of family. It was quite a blow!
    My suggestion is to talk with a lawyer, get some professional advice, and start Divorce proceedings. Your children are much more "adaptable" than we think, and you have to face the fact that the family is not longer what you want it to be. I do wish you the best. Your happiness should not be put off any longer. Things will get better, but not with your husband.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 7, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi, lovinmom,
    I am 64 yrs old, divorced after my 1st 7 yrs of marriage, waited 3 years, and now re-married for 29 yrs. Life throws us a bunch of curves sometimes, and it's all in how we handle it.
    Doing family things, as you once did, as you said yourself, was really over when your husband started cheating on you! I thought my life had come to an end, when I was divorced, breaking up a family with two small boys, 5 and 6 yrs old. The type of family life I had known, since I was a child, was over. I wouldn't have a chance to have the same type of family. It was quite a blow!
    My suggestion is to talk with a lawyer, get some professional advice, and start Divorce proceedings. Your children are much more "adaptable" than we think, and you have to face the fact that the family is not longer what you want it to be. I do wish you the best. Your happiness should not be put off any longer. Things will get better, but not with your husband.
    Dear lovinmom, I agree with what fredg suggests. Unfortunately, right now, I think, your husband has lost all respect for you somehow, and you'll not be able to get that back - even if you 'walk on pins and needles'. He's set his mind to 'ex' already. He probably just does not want you to get more than he's willing to give in a settlement. This is what makes most men come back just one more time, to convince you that they 'really, really, tried'. We, of course know that this is B.S. BIGTIME. Sorry to sound so crass, but it's an old trick, and most women still fall for it.

You can't trust him or his actions anymore, so why would you want to stay with him? Please respect yourself more than he does. Your children will just grow up in a 'single-parent' household, which is very common now - and they'll be a lot better off without the crap that 'daddy' is feeding them and you.

Talk to your lawyer, get things settled on paper to your benefit. If he still thinks he 'wants a family' with you, then he can do it even after the divorce. That, at least will show his true feelings, and no longer keep you in the dark. Remember, you invested a lot of love and energy into this, so make certain that he does not get out that easy. He's just trying to make things smooth for himself.

So, think of the stress-level you and the kids will no longer have in the near future and strive to a tranquil life with your kids - and maybe someone new that treats you with more respect!

Good luck,dear, and please keep us posted.

P.S. There is LIFE after all this - stay optimistic!

May 7, 2006, 06:43 PM
    Thank you all for your help and advice. Today is Sunday.he left yesterday about 3pm and we have not heard from him since. He will not return my calls nor the kids calls. He doesn't even have enough respect for us to let us know what is going on. I truly believe in my heart he is back with th O.W. I cannot believe he has done this not once, but twice. There is no way I would let him back into my home now. My 10 year old daughter went into a crying frenzy... says she is not having anything to do with her dad anymore. I hurt more when I see my children hurting. I think she is embarrassed also, because when he first came back home, she was so happy she was telling everyone. As for myself, yes, I am hurting, but right now I am more angry with him because he was not a man about any of this and he put forth no effort into making our marriage work. I do have a lawyer. We began our divorce last year shortly after our separation. We were to go to court on the 10th of this month for a final hearing. That will have to be postponed because he hasn't turned in his disclosure statement. I am going to try my best with moving on and having a life without him. He came back with so many big plans and ideas of what we were going to do with our family and lives. All a crock. Again, thank you all for your help.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

May 7, 2006, 07:31 PM
    I wish you the best of luck in this. I know it's going to be hard but it sounds like your not afraid of a bit of hard work. I know you have probably already asked about this to your lawyer but I'm going to bring it up again. Most judges will grant a devorce baised on infedelity pending proof. Well I think that you have that proof, baised upon that I would ask about the things of monitary value and how he plans on supporting the children. I don't know weither you work or not but the quality of life that you and your children have and are accustomed to is important to their well being. I wouldn't be vindictive about it and take everything, but you do need certain things to live. Make sure you and the kids are getting what you need including child support. Sorry to overstep if I have, but just make sure you guys are taken care of.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 7, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Your decision to divorce, though sad, may be a blessing in disguise as the stress of a cheating and uncaring partner can be put behind you and give you a chance to find yourself and true happiness which we all need. Look out for yourself for a change!:cool: :)
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Most judges will grant a devorce baised on infedelity pending proof.
    That would depend on where she lives. If she lives in a no-fault divorce state, then the fact that he had an affair during the marriage is an irrlevent fact.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

May 7, 2006, 08:51 PM
    It sounds like his love interest kicked him to the curb and he came crawling back.
    It also sounds like he wants a housekeeper instead of a wife my recommendation would be to get rid of him
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

May 7, 2006, 10:29 PM
    I can understand wanting to save your marriage for the sake of your children, but how on earth can you go through so much garbage for a guy who has not only walked out on his wife and 4 children, but then was irresponsible enough to walk out on his newborn with the other woman? That to me spells selfishness beyond belief. I smell a rat, big time! I think he may have even been kicked out by the other "woman" because he may have been unfaithful again to her.

This guy doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself. He didn't care about how his behavior would affect his kids, how they would feel abandoned. So he went to their games, he MOVED OUT for someone else and made a new baby. He may have never really had the intention of returning to work it out. He knew you'd take him back and that's cheaper than a motel. Otherwise, why didn't he make an effort? Why sleep in the other room? Why ignore you?

Don't let your kids see another moment of this. Show them (especially if any of them are girls) that they have a strong mom who will stand up for herself and will not be allowed to be treated this way by anyone, whether it's their father or not. Then, seek out the meanest divorce attorney you can find, I mean a real pit bull (no insult intended to the breed) and protect your assets from this creep. If you don't, you'll be left out in the cold and you have kids to think about. It doesn't matter whether you bought the property together or not, it was his actions that lead to this break up and forced you to play it this way.
    lovely mmt Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

May 8, 2006, 01:31 AM
    Hi lovinmom
    I know this is the most unbearable time for you right now.
    I just wanted to give you some advice on the kids.
    Whatever you do, pay attention to every detail of your babies lives. This is critical. It makes me cry to remember what I went through as a child when my parents split up. I'm the youngest of 4. My father did the same thing. Cheated and Walked out. My mom lost it. But in the process was so torn we were kind of left on the backburner. I became clinically depressed. Didn't even know it at the time. Took me 4 years to come out of that slump.
    If anyone had paid any attention to these symptoms it would have saved me a ton of grief.
    Look for things like your kids changing friends or stop having any, their grades in school, etc.
    Make your babies talk to you even if it may be uncomfortable.
    Sometimes talking is all it takes.
    Godbless and remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 9, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Well dear, it looks like he was just trying to postpone the inevitable, by faking a 'friendly comeback'. You were psyched up for the divorce and he was scared of losing what's still important to him - the financial benefits - So, he had it his way again and hurt all of you one more time.

Don't let him do this ever again, get the lawyer to hurry this up so that you and the kids can start over.

It is hard, but you'll make it. You've all had a taste and know how to pick yourselves up.

Good luck to you and the kids, and please keep us posted.

We'll be here for you - without ulterior motives!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2006, 09:31 PM
    I'm sorry for what you're going through. It must seem impossible to carry on, but you may be a stronger woman than what you're giving yourself credit for. You stood on your own for a year and made it. Your husband has thrown you and your children a curve ball, but you can still make a home run out of it yet. Good luck to you and your children.
    Kae
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2006, 09:48 PM
    Take care of yourself and your kids first. This bum only cares for himself. He knows if you divorce him he will pay a lot in child support. The OW has dumped him and he is just using you trying to prevent his total demise.:mad:

May 29, 2006, 01:20 PM
    I want to thank everyone for all their help and advice. I wanted to update you all on our situation. He is still gone. Heard from a reliable source that he proposed to the OW on Mothers day, buying her a big rock to seal it with. Meanwhile, my children and I are struggling to make ends meet. My children are not used to this lifestyle. Neither am I. Anyway, he paid her truck off, while I do not know how I will make the next payment on mine. I can honestly and whole heartedly say that I am over him. I have lost all respect for him. There would be nothing he could say or do to change my mind now. We go to court on the 10th. Final court day will be in August. We have many marital assets in which I am quite sure the judge will order sell and divide. Her truck is in his name, therfore we are trying to get it. They have 3 vehicles. My daughter still is very upset and refuses to talk with him. He gives us very little money and only whenit is convenient to him. I am doing fine except when the kids hurt... then I hurt with them. Thanks again all. I will deep posted.
    invested_4 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2006, 04:37 PM
    HI,
    Remember that God will not put more on you than you can bare. He loves you and He is with you every step of the way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feeling like everything is different [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I went away for a three-week course in another city, and since I got back my perception of everything in my life seems different. Not in a bad way - just different - so I am curious to know if anyone else has ever felt like this too. For example, I've always had hang-ups about my...

Feeling helpless with visitation issues :( please help [ 4 Answers ]

This is awkward and personal (brutaly honest and hard to talk about) but I don't know where to turn. I lost custody of my son 8yrs ago due to alcoholism problems. I have now been sober for 8 YEARS! Went to college, did everything I could do to turn my life around which I have done successfully. I...

Feeling small... [ 31 Answers ]

I went to London yesterday with my boyfriend Pete, and 6 of his friends. 5 of them are going to Italy with us in September for a holiday. We also have a weekend away to France Planned over Easter. Pete and his mate Dave came up with the France Idea and incorporated me to go with them. I...

I still have feeling for my ex [ 7 Answers ]

Hey You! Well I really like this guy and he asked my out a couple of days ago. I really do like him and would go out with him but for some reason I scared of getting hurt again.I think I still have feeling for my ex. In the past relationship my boyfriend cheated on me with this girl he goes to...

Why can't I stop feeling like this... [ 24 Answers ]

I am scared to death that I have fallen in love with pete. I have allowed myself to open up and let Pete in - but I am so scared that he is going to hurt me now that I have done so - I have never known any different. I feel so vulberable - even though I now he is not like the others.

View more questions Search