Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drhostage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Employer Slander in MD
    I am currently working for an optical chain as an optometrist. In the first few months of working for the company I decided, this wasn't the best mode of practice for me and decided to leave; or so I thought. I have applied to several different optical chains. In one case, I interviewed and a job offer was made. No sooner did I accept the offer, the rescinded it stating the job I was being hired for no longer existed.
    Most recently, I spoke with another company about the possibility of working for them. The DM (district manager) said he would pass my name along to the Director of Clinical Services. I never heard from them. I called the DM again and he has yet to return my phone call. I have a strong suspicion that my current DM, has been offering bad references in an attempt to keep me. I can't prove any of this. What can I do?

I am a friendly and competent doctor who just wants to work in an environment that allows me to be ethical.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 01:20 PM
    The only suggestion I can offer is that you inform the interviewers that you think that might be going on. Most companies realize that references are pretty well useless and may do more harm than good.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 09:37 PM
    All of the employment forms I have ever filled out had a box: Can we contact your current employer Y/N? Most companies will understand if you say No and tell them that your current employer doesn't know that you are out exploring other possibilities, and you would rather not have them contacted.

And do not say the slightest thing in the interview that makes them think that you have problems with your current employer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slander? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I prove that a person is slandering my name

Can I sue for slander [ 3 Answers ]

I have been divorced for 6yrs and remarried with my second child on the way. My ex in laws keep telling these NASTY lies like I have been molested to people all over town. After I divorced their son they started all of these sick lies about me to try to hurt me. My daughter has to hear this sick...

Can I sue a former employer for slander? [ 5 Answers ]

My former employer has been contacting current and former employees which were my co-workers and forcing them to remove their personal recommendations for me on linkedin. The empoyer is stating that by recommending me the employees are violating some company policy - which I never heard of. They...

Can I sue for slander? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of filing a lawsuit against a business. I use to work there and then I quit for a different job. The owner is pissed off because his business has suffered since I left the management position, so he has been telling all his customers that I am suing him for an accident...

View more questions Search