Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Irishlad22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 11:06 PM
    3 Gang Box.not a clue
    Hello all... New York City here. I have to use BX... code. I have 2-wire( there is no ground in BX by the way in 2-wire) ran from the breaker. It is for my bathroom. The house was built in 1938 or 1939. The entire top floor (2 bedrooms and 1 bath) is all run on ONE breaker!!
    That is how they did it back then I guess. I want to run lights to the ceiling, lights over the vanity, and a fan over the tub/shower... on 3 different switches.
    My question is: Do I need to run 3-wire or can I pull it off (on a 20 amp) on 2-wire? If so,
    How do I connect them all together? I guess you can tell I am a ham-and-egger. Take it easy on this DIY-er please!! I'm a plumber Jim... not a magician... lol Thanks All :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 03:06 AM
    The outer sheath is the ground. There is a BX connector which is used to connect the BX to the box and a BX plastic bushing the goes inside of the cut BX cable so the sheath doesn't cut the wires.

12 AWG - no more than 20 A, 15 or 20 A breaker
    14 AWG - no more than 15 A, 15 A breaker

I = Power(watts)/V; V = 120

Bath should have a 20 Amp GFCI circuit.

Not sure if I answered the question.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 03:28 AM
    All I'll say is be careful. You must have a license to do electrical work in NYC, and I'm almost positive this applies to your own home as well.

Good luck.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 03:30 AM
    Oh, and I forgot. They DID relax the "no NM cable" rule in NYC for homes. "BX" or conduit is not mandatory any more.
    Check your local building codes and NEC amendments. NYC has it's own set of rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where Can I find 3 gang Metal box? [ 22 Answers ]

I am in desperate need of a 3 Gang metal box, have they been discontinued, or is it just Florida? I am looking for the 3 gang box with ears, NOT Gangable or box and Mudring. Not Plastic. Want to cut into wall without damage, It is best box for this purpose, Can't find for anything? Thanks in...

3 Gang Box, 3 separate circuits [ 9 Answers ]

I have a three gange box with 3 separate 12/2 runs to the panel. There are 3 corresponding 12/2 feeds to the lights. My question is, since there are 3 separate circuits, do I need to tie all the grounds together, or only the two that make up that particular light circuit? I would assume...

5 gang switch box [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 gang metal switch box with 5 switches. I want to eliminate one of the switches so I have only 4 switches. I don't want to use a blank to fill the hole with no switch. I want to use a switch plate for 4 switches. Can I cover the hole with a metal plate and mud over it so it looks like a 4...

Is Congress a Gang? [ 1 Answers ]

"Is Congress a gang, and does it need to be abated?" And we not-so-assertively assert that "Sometimes Congress could be a gang, depending on the future use and misuse made of Senate bill 155 -- the Gang Abatement and Prevention Act." And so could your motorcycle club, your chess club, your rose...

SHirt Tales? Get Along Gang? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I grew up in the 80's and there was this cartoon with many different animals that had shirts on, and they would say different words depending on their moods (I think) Was this show called "Shirt Tales" or the "Get Along Gang"? I think the Get Along Gang was a different cartoon with animals...

View more questions Search