Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Jun 10, 2008, 11:18 AM
    forming concrete steps.form prep
    Hello all - I am in the midst of a home improvement project, and one of my tasks is to build stars (2 treads) from my garage into my mud room. I want to make the stairs out of cement. I will be making the form from plywood and 2x4s, and then pouring the cement into the form. Once the concrete sets for a few days, I of course plan to pull the form off. My question is, do I need to do anything special to the wood to keep it from sticking to the cured concrete, or will a few whacks of a hammer break the seal.

Thanks.
    Rob
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Wipe the form surfaces with vegetable oil or clean motor oil.

Jun 10, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Wipe the form surfaces with vegetable oil or clean motor oil.
    Will do - I assume that won't leave stains on the concrete surface, will it? Interesting technique. Is that what the pros do, or is there a commercial product they use?

Thanks
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jun 10, 2008, 03:32 PM
    We use something called 'formply'. It is a faced plywood that leaves a super smooth concrete finish . Pretty well any building centre should have it - if they don't call it formply, then ask for faced plywood to use for concrete forms.

Don't forget the vibrator - it'll make sure there are no bubbles.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 04:03 PM
    There is a commercially available form oil but you don't need it. Ballenger's veg oil is adequate.
    A vibrator would be great but for just two steps I think you can consolidate this depth with a good trowel, cutting into the poured concrete and compacting it as much as possible.
    Tapping on the outside of the forms on all sides helps to consolidate it also a technique for external vibration, removing trapped air. Some type of edging tool would be good for the top front edge of the tread and possibly for all exposed edges to prevent spalling.
    Keep some wet rags on all exposed surfaces for a few days to help prevent cracking from drying out too quickly, especially in hot weather. We always broomed the treads creating lines (about 1/16 inches deep) from side to side (long ways) to roughen the walking surface, as the last part of the finishing process.
    BigRed1500 Posts: 70, Reputation: 8

Jun 10, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Cheap tip - If you can't work the air out by tapping the forms and you don't have a vibrator, you can use a vibrating palm sander on the outside of your forms. It will work fairly well on a small pour.

Jun 11, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Thanks everyone! A lot of good advice. Looks like I'm ready to start pouring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixing concrete steps? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I renting a two family flat in Michigan. Recently, a huge hole has appeared on the concrete step outside the home. My landlord states that it cannot be fixed because it is winter here in Michigan. I disagree. I informed her that she probably can't repair the step but it probably can...

Floor prep for concrete [ 3 Answers ]

I have a building that is 60' x 104', the top soil was removed and appx 160 tons of bank sand was installed and graded to prep for a 6" concrete floor. After tamping there were several wet areas and the base was not firm, now that it has rained, the whole area is wet and will have to be pumped. My...

New concrete patio does not drain - huge puddles are forming [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a new concrete patio poured in my back yard. I looks great, but every time I water the lawn any water that gets on the patio forms a large puddle in the middle - almost like a small pond, although I did not want a water feature! I have huge concerns about this, the puddle is about...

Concrete block steps [ 2 Answers ]

I have contracted a garden firm to build a concrete block wall and curved steps. I don't think they know what they are doing as the blocks are sitting on the dirt and are very narrow. How should they go about this?

View more questions Search