Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdcamp89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 03:31 PM
    New concrete patio does not drain - huge puddles are forming
    I just had a new concrete patio poured in my back yard. I looks great, but every time I water the lawn any water that gets on the patio forms a large puddle in the middle - almost like a small pond, although I did not want a water feature!

I have huge concerns about this, the puddle is about 1/4 inch deep and about 4x5 feet. Watering the lawn in the early morning leaves a puddle that lasts all day. Evening watering leaves a puddle all night. I assume this cannot be fixed. I need to have the contractor tear it out and re-do it right? What are the problems, other than the annoyance, of having this standing water on my patio.

Thanks for your comments and help.

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Over time your concrete will start to develop alge and become discolored. You might be able to have the patio cut into quarters with an expansion cut and then have it mud jacked in the center. Far cheaper than starting over. What has your contractor said about his less than expected job? He screwed up.
    mdcamp89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Thanks, that's what I thought but did not know for sure.

The contractor has agreed that this is unsatisfactory and will cut out sections and re-pour. Says it will be done next week.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jun 22, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Like you've indicated... if the contractor is willing to fix the incorrect slope... that would be the best solution but if you have any problems getting it to really happen... you can cut a slot in the concrete from the low spot, to the edge that the water should flow to, and install a drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Patio [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to build a concrete paver patio in my yard. The problem is the septic tank cover will be in the middle of the patio. It will be raised about 1 inch above the patio pavers. I would like to build the patio over it but construct something that would allow easy access to the cover. ...

Concrete patio [ 2 Answers ]

I am purchasing a new home. There is a small outside patio that does not have enough slope to drain rain water off. What would be a easy solution to this problem without having to complete redo the patio. Is there a concrete topping that can be applied to the existing slab to create a slope? ...

Concrete patio [ 2 Answers ]

We recently had a concrete patio laid down. The patio abuts the back of the house but no expansion joint was installed against foundation of the house. The contractor said these were not needed since expansion joints were installed in several ares of the patio. Is expansion joint necessary...

Concrete patio [ 3 Answers ]

How much is concrete going for these days? We want to add a patio and possibly a room addition.

Concrete patio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... my question: I'm having a new concrete patio laid, it's about 15X30'... does it need re-bar... AND gravel? They have the re-bar down, but not gravel.. just dirt? Brad

View more questions Search