Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 9, 2008, 02:55 AM
    Dog forgets his tricks?
    I taught my dog to roll over a few weeks ago, started with rolling him over and teling him roll over. In about a week he had the trick down to a t. I made sure to ask him to do the trick a few times a day so he wouldn't forget, than one afternoon I asked him to roll over so he layed down and went on his side but then got up right quick. He does this every time I ask him to roll over. Why has he forgotten his trick?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 04:00 AM
    Maybe he hasn't forgotten, just doesn't want to do it. I don't think dogs forget tricks. Once they learn something they do it to please us, sometimes to distraction LOL.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 04:37 AM
    My friends dog , when she tell him to roll over... he only rolls his head. Cute.. he gets a treat anyway.

Jun 9, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Its like he gets scared of rolling over. At first I though maybe someone had hit him or got mad at him when he rolled over. He seems to get anxious when he is laying down. Sometime when I'm at school and my mom's not home I'm scared that my brothers would go there with some of their friends and one of them would hit or hurt my dog. Do you think this could have been the case
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
    If your dog has been hit you should be able to tell. He will be hand shy, meaning if you bring your hand, foot or some other object toward him he will shy away from it.
    A lot of times they will tuck their tail and get away as quickly as possible. You will also see them form a half circle with their body, which is a submissive position or even get down on the ground and spread their paws open and howl. I have also seen them lower themselves to the ground and crawl away.
    I really hope that no one is being mean to your dog.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 07:19 PM
    There are several possibilities. One is that he may be bored of doing the trick. Another is that he is getting older, and exposing your belly is a submissive gesture in dogs. And he may feel that he outranks you, and thus isn't going to act submissive. Just some things to think about.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Another possibility is that you inadvertently rewarded him for this movement, and now he thinks this is what you're asking him to do. Go back a step or two in your training, and then forge ahead.

Also, how old is your dog? There is a period that comes from 6 months and runs until a year or a year and a half that is equivalent to adolescence in humans. Like teenagers, the can just stop listening to you for awhile. Like a dog that has always responded to sit might just totally ignore you. If this is the case, you can keep teaching, but if it's becoming harrowing just cut him some slack and just have fun and play around.

Also, I wonder if he might have hurt his back or something? I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but did you say that you were rolling him over? When you teach your dog tricks you are not supposed to put your hands on them and push them into position. You should be using a lure (treat). Try to get some great puppy or dog training books.

Jun 10, 2008, 02:34 AM
    My dog is 3 years old and to get him to roll over I just had to touch his front left paw.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2010, 09:29 AM

My first thought is, something hurts when he rolls too far so he doesn't want to do it. I've had dogs wrench a muscle or something while running and playing and not be able to do certain things for a couple of weeks or so. You might see if he has any tender spots on the side he's been rolling to, just to be sure.

Mar 27, 2010, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    My first thought is, something hurts when he rolls too far so he doesn't want to do it. I've had dogs wrench a muscle or something while running and playing and not be able to do certain things for a couple of weeks or so. You might see if he has any tender spots on the side he's been rolling to, just to be sure.

Thanks for the answer, but I've asked this question over a year ago.

Mar 27, 2010, 12:07 PM

Don't worry 'bout it. Happens to me all the time.
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    don't worry 'bout it. Happens to me all the time.
    I can tell, rex's mom, why rex would forget a trick. You can tell he has a hidden agenda just from looking at those eyes ! What is it ? He knows where the treats are hidden, right ? He is far too smart to forget a trick

Tick

Mar 28, 2010, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I can tell, rex's mom, why rex would forget a trick. You can tell he has a hidden agenda just from looking at those eyes ! What is it ? He knows where the treats are hidden, right ? He is far too smart to forget a trick

tick
    Don't worry he knows where the treats are hidden!:p As soon as I say, Rex lets go get a treat, he runs to the closet and sits there patiently. He's a great dog, and by far the best my family has ever owned. He turned 5 on Tuesday.;) Like I said he's a great dog, and I'm glad that he even gets to go outside unrestrained(at our house) thanks to our inground fence. We've had it up and running since late August and so far he ran through it twice. The day it was set up and unfortunately last Saturday.

It was very scary for me because a week prior to this my brother's dog Miles(RIP) had been hit and killed by a car. See a lot of people have complaints about the inground fence not working, but I believe that if you take the time to train the dog with the directions given by the manuel it works great. The first day I let him free he ran and looked all around for a place without flags so he could escape, but he couldn't find one, so we called him back and gave him a treat. The whole day we were so excited because he wasn't leaving our yard. Near the end of the day me and mom were outside playing with him trying to show him how fun the area could be, when all of a sudden he caught sight of something and took off to our neighbours yard he yelped when he crossed the line but kept running. I was soooo dissapointed!:( But like the system said in case of an error, I ran in unplugged it, and mom ran over to get Rex, luckily he was using the bathroom and mom grabbed him. She brought him over and I put him on a leash, turned the system back on and walked through the fence, seeing if he would do it again. He immediately backed up and I knew he had learned his lesson. After that he had been great outside with the fence, never getting shocked or leaving the yard...

Until last Saturday. See my friend showed up and we were outside talking, with Rex of course. We were outside for about an hour and it was dark and my friend said she had to walk home. I offered to walk her to the end of my driveway, and so we got up and walked down the driveway. As we did my neighbours dog followed but I heard some more steps behind me, and to my dismay here was Rex, right behind me, he had crossed the fence and I never knew. And Icould understand Rex's thinking, because every time my friend comes over, me and Rex and her and her dog would go for a walk, he just thought we were going for a walk. I was mortified and scared and when my initial shock dissipated I said, REX! My friend looked and started to chase after him. I called her back and ran in the house and grabbed his leash and some treats.

THe worst part was that my mom was gone for a few hours and my dad was in bed. My mom had the car, and my dad's truck is standard which I do not know how to drive. So me and my friend ran to the neighbours down the middle of the road hollering for Rex, when my friend saw him she chased him and spooked him. And so we ran to my gramma's asking for a drive, instead people we knew dropped us off where they last saw him.We walked and hollered until we heard a dog crying in the woods, in back of someone's home.All these pictures started going through my mind, hearing about MIles being dead, the picture on my friend's cell, and the look on my brothers face(one I'll never forget). Then thoughts, Rex getting caught in a snare, a bear trap, getting attacked by a coyote. And all I could think after each cry was that it was my fault and what would I do without Rex?

We ran home, my friend saying that we couldn't leave him, and me always the rational one saying that it was dangerous to be on the road at night, and that we couldn't just run up someone's yard. So on the way home we ran to people's houses, giving them my phone number in case they see him. And when we got him I woke dad up and asked him to drive us to go find Rex, I thought he would be pissed, but apparently he felt bad for me because of the tears welling in my eyes and the sense of urgency in my voice. So we left and drove down the road, calling Rex, and we pointed to where we had heard the crying, it was far from our house, and Rex normally stays off the road and goes only to the neighbours. We saw nothing, and went the other way. We drove up our other neighbour's yard near the woods, and saw nothing, but I heard a faint jingling, we drove further and as I glance in the sid mirrors I saw that he was following us. With some coaxing and treats I grabbed him and put him in the truck. I was so relieved, I don't think I've ever been that relieved in my WHOLE life! When we got home I knew I was supposed to do the whole training bit but I was just too shook up. So the next morning I replaced the battery in the collar and checked the setting, I normally have it on the highest level of correction, but someone had switched it to just the beeping. So I switched it back, and changed the barrier in order to give him more warning as he approaches the line. That very day I was able to let him free again*with close supervision of course.

I don't know what happened that night, and how he could have gotten to the other side of my house with no one seeing him(I had asked a few people and they said they saw him go left and never come back this way) and I have absolutely no clue who's dog was crying the woods, but I do know this, that day opened my eyes to the fact that I should never take him for granted. I should rememeber that he is a true gift and to cherish him everyday. Oh and of course to do a training with the fence at least once a onth even if he seems to know his boundaries.

WHOA LONG! SORRY.

I just love his eyes, so beautiful and mysterious. The sneaky little bugger, almost causing me to have a heart attack. And then when I got him back and he just looks at me like ''What's wrong, I only went for a run!''
    Attached Images

Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 06:50 AM

I am so pleased you are enjoying him so much:D He is such a lovely animal.

Tick
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 09:00 AM

Inground fences work for dogs who are smart I think...

Once had a rescue dog adopted to a family who couldn't have a physical fence, just the inground electric. The dog bolted through the fence daily. They tried everything. They called the company's trainers, they put on a 6 prong collar.. Still ran through it. So they put on another 6 prong collar... ran through the fence with 12 prongs shocking him... Yes he felt it... but he didn't stop running. And, from the way everything was set up, the neighbors yards were shocking him also. So it wasn't like he ever had a pos. experience running through the fence.. The last resort, they had the prongs on him AND a remote trainer.. still ran. My mom was getting concerned because the people weren't being "Smart" and tying him. They finally surrendered him back to us. He's living him a nice home with a physical 6ft privacy fence...

Wild, huh? -- And his neck was never burned with all those prongs shocking him.

Mar 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Inground fences work for dogs who are smart I think...

Once had a rescue dog adopted to a family who couldnt have a physical fence, just the inground electric. The dog bolted through the fence daily. They tried everything. They called the company's trainers, they put on a 6 prong collar.. Still ran through it. So they put on another 6 prong collar... ran through the fence with 12 prongs shocking him... Yes he felt it... but he didnt stop running. And, from the way everything was set up, the neighbors yards were shocking him also. So it wasnt like he ever had a pos. experience running through the fence.. The last resort, they had the prongs on him AND a remote trainer.. still ran. My mom was getting concerned because the people werent being "Smart" and tying him. They finally surrendered him back to us. He's living him a nice home with a physical 6ft privacy fence...

Wild, huh? -- And his neck was never burned with all those prongs shocking him.

I've heard of many people who's dog would do this. Just run through the fence and take the shock. Luckily my dog must be a wimp because the first time he got shocked, he yelped and jumped back in the boundaries. I was concerned at first with the fence. That it may hurt him, but it said it was humane, and my mom was really good to me and tried it out first. Rex has been shocked few times(I could probably count them on one hand). And some people tell me these fences are cruel, but all I can say is I would rather have my dog get a small shock, then have him get hit by a car.

I think the reason why the fence works well, if the dog is trained properly is because it is consistent. Every time the dog leaves the boundaries he gets a shock, no exceptions. A person may not always be there to correct the dog, but the fence is. Unfortunately many people don't bother training their dogs correctly, they just set up the fence, put the collar on the dog, throw them out in the yard and hope they learn.

I enjoyed training Rex, and found the directions clear and easy to follow. I especially loved the fact that it told to cause distractions, family members walking outside the boundaries, bicycles, skatboards, strollers, children running, and playing. It also gave the ultimate tests, like throwing balls, toys and even food outside the fence.

I likes the inground fence, because as a high school student I don't really have a few thousand or even hundred dollars to set up a fence, and my parents probably wouldn't have allowed it. So I paid $100 for the fence, dug the hole myself and installed it myself. Best $100 I've ever spent!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Performing tricks at school [ 2 Answers ]

Everyone knows about those things kids do in school such as using your middle and forefinger to slap them together making a (snap) sound. And when you make those raindrop sounds by smacking something to the side of your cheek. and even those really loud whistles you make with your bottom lip. ...

What to do when your husband forgets where home is? [ 4 Answers ]

Wow Today This Is Hard For Me, Im Going To Put My Life On The Computer For Everyone To Know, Well Ive Been With My Husband For 9 Years We've Been Married For Only 3, No Kids, And We Have Been Through Just About Everything That A Marriage Can Go Through In One Lifetime. Just To Start With My...

Dog tricks [ 5 Answers ]

my dog noes how 2 sit he listens to that an dhe noes how 2 give me his paw when I say slap me, but how do I get him to lay down that's hard don't know what to do man, p.s when he sin the house he sits on my comand when on road its difrent he listens when he wants

Any tricks on getting dog to eat & drink? [ 7 Answers ]

I got my new dog Brian from a rescue centre at the weekend, they told us just as we were leaving that he'd picked up a bit of kennel cough but it was nothing to worry about and it would pass. Well 36 hours later he was admitted to doggy hospital with bronchitis - a very sick puppy! (Well huge 18...

Teaching an old dog new tricks [ 13 Answers ]

I own a 4 month old mini dashund. He is great. Potty trained, crate trained, and he has a great personality. My husband and I have began to talk about getting another one from the same breeder in May when they have their next litter. But then this happened. A co-worker (who I have become friends...

View more questions Search