Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ectaspa Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
    dog tricks
    my dog noes how 2 sit he listens to that an dhe noes how 2 give me his paw when I say slap me, but how do I get him to lay down that's hard don't know what to do man,

p.s when he sin the house he sits on my comand when on road its difrent he listens when he wants
    CorrieNB Posts: 78, Reputation: 8

Aug 24, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Have you thought about a dog school? Also I know this is obvious but try giving him a treat every time he lays or sits for you. By the way you have a very pretty or should I say handsome puppy.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    dragondog Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Get a treat once you teach him to sit, well get them to sit and lower the treat to the ground and say "down" or "lay" this is how I got my dog to do it.. so guide them with the treat to make them follow it & they should lay down
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Escapta To get my dog to lie down. I put a treat in my hand and made a fist, I let him sniff it and slowly brought my hand whle kneeling to the ground. As he is lying down you say down or lie or whatever you choose and praise him, then let him have the treat, while lying.
    I also taught him to crawl using this method. When he had thisl down pat, I would just move backwards dragging my hand over the floor and he would crawl toward the treat. Hope this helps. Btw he was very food driven and only got these treats when I was teaching him. I was instructed to only work with him for 15 minutes at a time.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2007, 05:54 AM
    I remember my nephew, the marine, had taught his Lab to ''Low crawl''.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tricks for boxing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any martial arts or any sort of tricks I can use in boxing. Something that literally confuses the other apponent or allows them not to see your punch coming. Not cheating just rele good strategy

Any tricks on getting dog to eat & drink? [ 7 Answers ]

I got my new dog Brian from a rescue centre at the weekend, they told us just as we were leaving that he'd picked up a bit of kennel cough but it was nothing to worry about and it would pass. Well 36 hours later he was admitted to doggy hospital with bronchitis - a very sick puppy! (Well huge 18...

I don't know any good card tricks! [ 3 Answers ]

O.K. since this site has almost every topic, why not take a stab at this one. Can anyone explain to me on how to perform a good card trick? Don't know any, do you??

Am I preganant? Is my mind playing tricks on me? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey. I am 16 and just looking for some help!! I think I might be pregnant. A first I didn't even think about all that was going on with my body like sore breasts,eating more, peeing more & tired easily to even think I was pregnant until my boyfriend said something about it. So he went online and...

Teaching an old dog new tricks [ 13 Answers ]

I own a 4 month old mini dashund. He is great. Potty trained, crate trained, and he has a great personality. My husband and I have began to talk about getting another one from the same breeder in May when they have their next litter. But then this happened. A co-worker (who I have become friends...

View more questions Search