Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newhomebuyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Leaking Ceiling
    I've notice that while the shower is running on the second floor drips of water comes through my exhaust/light fixture bathroom on the first floor. I'm shocked because this is a new home and I've been here going on 2 years and I shouldn't have any problems let alone a plumbing problem. What could be the problem... please I need the help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Hey Newhome...

First thing you need to do is to remove the shower face plate and handle.

Then get a flashlight and look around inside the wall while you are running the shower itself.

You also want to pull the chrome trim around the shower arm forward and observe this area (again.. shower running)...

If home only 2 years old, then most likely not issue with bad floor out in front of shower or anything like that... but check to be sure that water is not getting out of shower while showering.

Any teenagers..? You wouldn't believe how many times this turns out to be teenagers that just don't care... I swear!

Anyway, start at the obvious like I mentioned... really look inside the wall... hopefully will be obvious and easy to fix.

Then let us know what happens. If shower valve involved, see if you can get us a name on valve. If not.. if truly eliminate the WATER PIPES by looking behind wall, then my next question will be whether you feel a weakness or a sponginess to the shower floor when you walk into it... could be drain involvement here.

If shower arm dripping should be easy to fix.

Get back to us... Mark

wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 9, 2008, 02:49 PM
    It's probably a loose connection where the water pipes are in the upstairs bathroom. It's a shock hazard and fire hazard since you have water coming through your light fixture. If you know what to do try tightening the showerhead a little not too much you don't want to strip the threads... like making a garden hose a little tighter on the faucet if its leaky. Since it's a new house I'd say call plumber and then call contractor to see if you have any warranty. We once lived in apt. building where we would get dirty water through the exhaust fan downstairs every time they flushed upstairs. Problem was a cracked soil pipe on their toilet. So it could be the drain too but all the drains are tired together so you would notice it at other times too not just if your shower is on.
    newhomebuyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hey Newhome...

First thing you need to do is to remove the shower face plate and handle.

Then get a flashlight and look around inside the wall while you are running the shower itself.

You also want to pull the chrome trim around the shower arm forward and observe this area (again..shower running)...

If home only 2 years old, then most likely not issue with bad floor out in front of shower or anything like that...but check to be sure that water is not getting out of shower while showering.

Any teenagers..?? You wouldn't believe how many times this turns out to be teenagers that just don't care...I swear!!

Anyway, start at the obvious like I mentioned...really look inside the wall...hopefully will be obvious and easy to fix.

Then let us know what happens. If shower valve involved, see if you can get us a name on valve. If not..if truly eliminate the WATER PIPES by looking behind wall, then my next question will be whether you feel a weakness or a sponginess to the shower floor when you walk into it...could be drain involvement here.

If shower arm dripping should be easy to fix.

Get back to us...Mark

Come to find out it was the teenager thing... we had guest and they seem to want the water to be more on the outside than the inside... I still checked the necessary parts but that was the source of the leak... mounds of water on my floor... must have leaked through the tile caulking.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Isn't that a riot!

Some people look at me like I am nuts... and I may be... ;)... but I swear, 6 out of ten times I get this call... It's teenagers mad at Mom or Dad... or as in your case, a guest that is just visiting for the weekend... with lasting impressions!

Hey glad if this resolved issue for you. You may want to caulk that tile seam with new mildew resistant silicone/caulking!

Thanks for update... Mark

jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 07:36 PM
    I would never have guessed it! That's hilarious. Good call, mp.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 17, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Thanks John... I get some pretty funny reactions each time I suggest it!

Was even easier to suggest online... no disapproving looks from Mom or Dad... ;)

Have good day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower leaking through to ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I live in a 2 story townhouse with the shower upstairs. A few days ago I replaced the Moen shower control handle (single) and splashplate behind it, and also the tub spout that has a diverter for the shower. All for cosmetic reasons only. There was a gap between the control handle...

Shower leaking on carpet and ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

This past week, approximately 5 minutes after taking a shower in my upstairs bathroom, my son said that water had leaked out around a light fixture located on the ceiling under the bathroom area. I had noticed that the water had been slow to drain during the shower so thought it was a partially...

Garage Ceiling Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know anything about plumbing. When I am starting shower on upper floor toilet then water start leaking on the garage ceiling. Where to start checking and how to start checking. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ceiling is leaking [ 2 Answers ]

My house is about 30 years old, moved in 13 years ago. The bathtub and toilet have overflowed a few times in two of the upstairs bathrooms. The water flows throughout the ceiling and even inside some of the double paned windows on the first floor. This has occurred since we moved in. Any amount of...

Ceiling started leaking [ 7 Answers ]

We heard water and looked up and our ceiling was leaking while my daughter was in the shower which is directly above where the leak was... I have no clue where to start and can't afford a plumber... HELP

View more questions Search