Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kandyland2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Ceiling is leaking
    My house is about 30 years old, moved in 13 years ago. The bathtub and toilet have overflowed a few times in two of the upstairs bathrooms. The water flows throughout the ceiling and even inside some of the double paned windows on the first floor. This has occurred since we moved in. Any amount of water that hits the floor (near the tubs) flows straight downstairs. One of the stains is roughly the size and shape of the bathtub directly above it. I'm scared the ceiling will fall or the tub will break through whatever is supporting it. Any suggestions? What would repair consist of? What is the average cost of repair?

We want it fixed by June 9th, so we're anxious.:(
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 30, 2007, 07:14 AM
    If you are at all handy this isn't a big deal. Cut out a section of the ceiling that is stained, and look up between the joists to see if there is any rot up there. If the overflow has only occurred once or twice over the years, it is doubtful that there would be an structural difficulties. Poke around into the joists and subfloor above with a screwdriver to see if any of the wood is soft and rotted. If it seems OK, then put up a new piece of sheetrock, spackle, prime and paint. This is a good weekend project, total cost maybe $75 in material. If you are not capable of doing this yourself, you can probably find a handyman who can do this work - I am guessing here but it will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $200 or so. However, if there are structural issues in the floor, you could find yourself having to replace the bathroom floor - cost would then be dependent on factors such as the area of the bathroom floor to be replaced, choice of tile or marble, etc.
    kandyland2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    If you are at all handy this isn't a big deal. Cut out a section of the ceiling that is stained, and look up between the joists to see if there is any rot up there. If the overflow has only occurred once or twice over the years, it is doubtful that there would be an structural difficulties. Poke around into the joists and subfloor above with a screwdriver to see if any of the wood is soft and rotted. If it seems OK, then put up a new piece of sheetrock, spackle, prime and paint. This is a good weekend project, total cost maybe $75 in material. If you are not capable of doing this yourself, you can probably find a handyman who can do this work - I am guessing here but it will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $200 or so. However, if there are structural issues in the floor, you could find yourself having to replace the bathroom floor - cost would then be dependent on factors such as the area of the bathroom floor to be replaced, choice of tile or marble, etc.
    Thanks, so much. I think I could do it, but I've never tried, so I'll leave it to the experts.
    I have a feeling that there is rot, etc... because the staining directly under the tub has turned brown and spread. I think that water has been sitting there for a long time because nearly a gallon of water flowed out even though less than a gallon spilled over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower water leaking onto floor then through ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

I have a problem where shower water leaks under the shower curtain onto the floor (for example, when the kids or visitors take a shower) then works its way through the ceiling below. As far as I can tell, the water goes under the toilet base and finds its way through the floor by way of the hole...

Garage Ceiling Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know anything about plumbing. When I am starting shower on upper floor toilet then water start leaking on the garage ceiling. Where to start checking and how to start checking. Any help is very much appreciated.

Ceiling on downstairs neighbors bathroom is leaking. [ 1 Answers ]

My neighbor's bathroom ceiling has a leak. I live in a condo (they were converted from apartments). The neighbor’s bathroom is right under my bathroom, she stated that I must have a leak. I checked all the plumbing that is visible and my toilet is not clogged and has not been clogged there is...

Water leaking into ceiling on 1st floor [ 5 Answers ]

Water sometimes drips from the bathroom upstairs into my dining on th 1st fl. What can I do? I already had the ceiling taken down, but we can't determine where its coming from. It only drips sometimes. (very strange) I'm just to tired of this problem and don't know what to do, the bathroom is...

Ceiling started leaking [ 7 Answers ]

We heard water and looked up and our ceiling was leaking while my daughter was in the shower which is directly above where the leak was... I have no clue where to start and can't afford a plumber... HELP

View more questions Search