Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snosal2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Shower leaking through to ceiling
    Hello,

I live in a 2 story townhouse with the shower upstairs. A few days ago I replaced the Moen shower control handle (single) and splashplate behind it, and also the tub spout that has a diverter for the shower. All for cosmetic reasons only. There was a gap between the control handle splashplate and the wall so I caulked it well. After taking a shower this morning I had some water leaking downstairs. I don't think it is a pipe as it would have been going all weekend, and it stopped after the shower was done.

I have a feeling it is the diverter spout, as the one I got at Home Depot is slightly different than the old one. The old one just fit on the copper pipe and had a hex screw to secure it. The new one has some plastic fittings that secure on the pipe and then the spout is fastened to this. I wondered if maybe water was getting around this and leaking down when it is being diverted. Either that or somehow the drain is messed up, but I didn't change anything on it.

I also thought that maybe when I was putting on the control handle I knocked something loose where the line gets diverted to the shower. Like I said it was only leaking when the shower was on, so it shouldn't be a supply line problem.

The first step is I am going to try filling the tub a bit without diverting to the shower and then drain to see if anything happens. If that's all good then it must be the diverter spout or the diverter line, right? Have you ever heard of the diverter spout doing this?

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Hi Snosal:

I sure have heard of the tub diverter spout leaking after replacement! Quite common actually... ;)

Would probably just be best to get a new diverter tub spout exactly like the old one. If home supply store does not have it, then may be smart to check a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE out for proper replacement.

We can also talk you through using the replacement you purchased, but can only guess at this time that somehow the o ring setup is getting pinched/displaced and causing this issue. A PICTURE SURE WOULD HELP US ADVISE BETTER!

I am confident that it is not your drain pipe... ;)

Anyway, let us know what you want to do... Mark
    snosal2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Mark,

Thank you for your post. I did some tests and put the old spout back on last night, and no water anywhere. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure, but looks like that was it. It was purely cosmetic, so it can stay on until I can find an exact match like you said. I'd rather find the same type than what I got at the Depot.

I've had the same problem with those universal toilet flappers. One size doesn't always fit all!

I will check the supply companies, thanks for the advice.

Have a great day!

--Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower water leaking onto floor then through ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

I have a problem where shower water leaks under the shower curtain onto the floor (for example, when the kids or visitors take a shower) then works its way through the ceiling below. As far as I can tell, the water goes under the toilet base and finds its way through the floor by way of the hole...

Shower leaking on carpet and ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

This past week, approximately 5 minutes after taking a shower in my upstairs bathroom, my son said that water had leaked out around a light fixture located on the ceiling under the bathroom area. I had noticed that the water had been slow to drain during the shower so thought it was a partially...

Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling - been recauked [ 1 Answers ]

I am having the same problems as little val. I have my shower leaking through the ceiling onto my kitchen floor. I have had the floor around the tub recauked and still leaking. I have tested my tub by filling it with water and draining it - NO LEAK. I have tried running the shower without...

Upstairs shower leaking through to ceiling? [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a flipped property about a year and a half ago, and, as I had feared, issues are starting to crop up. The first one we just had taken care of yesterday - there was no pressure regulator installed, and so we had 95 psi coming into the house. Unfortunately, I think Problem One may have...

Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling [ 14 Answers ]

My upstairs shower is leaking to 1st floor ceiling. Below is my troubleshooting: * I tested by not using the shower for awhile, leak stopped so I know it's not from water line. * I had water going directly to drain pipe, no leak so I know it's not the pipes under the floor. * I took drain cover...

View more questions Search