Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helphungry Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 11:05 PM
    Block / Restrict LimeWire Using ICS
    Hello There!

We're running office network of 10 computers all PCs are using Windows XP. The client computers connect to the internet through SERVER using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

Some clients use LimeWire and eat up all the download speed. Asking them to stop using LimeWire is like messing official relationship. That's why I want to silently restrict it from SERVER.

Is there a way to configure ICS to restrict software specific requests?

Waiting for an early reply.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

May 9, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Here's a thread on blocking Limewire that may be helpful.

Vasily
    helphungry Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helphungry
    Hello There!

We're running office network of 10 computers all PCs are using Windows XP. The client computers connect to the internet through SERVER using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

Some clients use LimeWire and eat up all the download speed. Asking them to stop using LimeWire is like messing official relationship. That's why I want to silently restrict it from SERVER.

Is there a way to configure ICS to restrict software specific requests?

Waiting for an early reply.
    Any other specific solution will be appriciated.

Thanks
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 14, 2008, 02:19 AM
    I don't believe ICS is sophisticated enough to do what you want, but I don't have extensive experience using it.

As the referenced thread indicated, you can attempt to block specific ports. For that you need either a router or firewall device/software. This approach tends to be an endless battle if ports used are easily adjusted by the end user or are dynamic. Some file sharing applications even tunnel their traffic in HTTP to help ensure it passes through firewalls.

A better approach is to use a content/traffic filtering device that is application protocol aware, such as Netsweeper or perhaps SonicWALL. These devices cost real money and would be a ridiculous solution for a few problem people, in my opinion.

You're seeking a technological solution to a corporate policy problem. If your administration won't support and enforce a no-use policy, request a dedicated Internet connection for the Limewire users and put them on their own separate network. Impacting the pocketbook may be your only way to gain administrative support for dealing with the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to restrict user to logon on 1 PC at a Time [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I'm working on Windows 2003 server I want to restrict a user account so that it can only log in to one computer at a time. I have a set of users that I don't want logging in to several computers at the same time. Is this can be done through Group Policy or some other method. ...

Can I restrict who can be around my kids? [ 5 Answers ]

In Virginia, can I legally enforce restrictions on the people that can be around my kids? My spouse and I are separated. I do not approve of some of her friends and wish that when she has our kids, certain friends are not around them.

Restrict control Panel [ 2 Answers ]

I want to restrict control Panel access to the local users on XP Professional. But administrator must be able to access the control Panel. How can I do this?

Help with limewire [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so like when I downloa a song from limewire, it just brings up more advertisements through the windows media player and doesn't play the song

Limewire [ 2 Answers ]

Is limewire, the free limewire safe and can I listen to full length songs?ANSWER BY 8:00 1/15/06 PLEASE

View more questions Search