Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nysreapp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Eviction process
    Can anyone tell me if the laws are different for evicting a tenant out of an owner occupied two unit in NY.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 07:11 PM
    The only differences at times are rules if the landlord owns over a certain amount of rentals, but that normally does not change the procedure, only requirements on landlords.
    Also it can differ if this is a rent controlled unit.

But why do they want to evict, non payment, breaking lease or so what
    nysreapp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nysreapp
    can anyone tell me if the laws are different for evicting a tenant out of an owner occupied two unit in NY.
    Non payment and allowing other people to live in unit without landlords permission. They haven't paid in 2 months now
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
    If you have not evicted before ( assuming you are the landlord) I would hire an attorney to do the notice letter and the formal filing paperwork, I know you can do it yourself, but NY can be a little pro renter at times, and you can reuse the same paper work once an attorney draws it up on the next tenant,

Also there should be forms available on places like LegalZoom: Online Legal Document Services: LLC,Divorce,Wills,Incorporation & More or other similar legal forms sites.

My only suggestion, don't let it ever go two months again, start after they are late on that first month.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nysreapp
    can anyone tell me if the laws are different for evicting a tenant out of an owner occupied two unit in NY.

No, laws are the same (as Fr Chuck said, assuming it's not rent controlled) as long as the unit is legal.

I know rumor is that NYS is pro-tenant; I have never had a problem (I'm a landlord) but maybe people aren't aware of the process and their mistakes cost them - ?

You can also always hire an Attorney to handle it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When is the eviction process necessary? [ 2 Answers ]

My tenant moved three loads of her property out and then informed me I had to evict her because she is going to leave some of her stuff there. She owes back rent and has broken her lease in other ways also. If her stuff is there, but she is not living there, do I have to go through the eviction...

Eviction process [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to evict a tenant for non payment of rent and understand Florida law but what happens to the tenant's property not removed by the date the tenant can't come back on the property... Jim

Can someone tell me what is the whole eviction process [ 1 Answers ]

How do I evict someone who is not a tenant and refuses to leave the property in the State of California.

Eviction process [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I live in Las Vegas NV and I am not sure what the laws are here in regards to the eviction process. I am a Tenant who has had a set back in my career. Our Landlords are giving us some time but I would like to know what the steps are in the eviction process. If you could please give me some...

Eviction process [ 4 Answers ]

After I have been served a three day notice and I still haven't paid the rent, do I still have an opportunity after that to pay the rent?

View more questions Search