Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SquamishMark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 09:49 AM
    How do you test Glow plugs in a 7.3L ford
    How do you test Glow plugs in a 7.3L ford? It doesn't want to start when it's cold. The wait to start light stays on for a while, so I think the plugs are working, but when it's could I can hear a humming noise coming from the passenger side of the motor. Could there be a falut with a relay, or controller switch for the plugs. The humming noise can only be hear when the motor is cold. Thanks in advance.

PS TXGreasemonkey, I will follow your advice on how to change them.

Thanks.

Mark.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Cold Weather Diesel Engine Starting Tips:

. Ensure both batteries are fully charged.
    . Clean battery terminals and cables.
    . Check glow plugs. This link should help:

Free Advice for Diesel Owners.

If you decide to change the glow plugs:

With the engine "stone cold," disconnect battery, remove valve cover, disconnect glow plug connector, remove glow plug with a 10 mm deep socket, install new glow plug (torque to 13 ft.-lbs.), and reattach connector. After finishing the remaining 3 glow plugs on that bank, clean valve cover, install new gasket, and reinstall valve cover( torque to 97 in.-lbs.). Do the same thing for the other bank of glow plugs and reconnect battery. Not a difficult job--should take several hours.

. Use synthetic Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 HDEO. If you install a by-pass filter, many diesel engines can go 60,000 miles+ between changes, provided you get regular Used Oil Analysis (UOA) done. Synthetics make a big difference in diesels starting in cold weather.
    . Add diesel fuel additive. In cold weather, many diesel owners have had problems with the new ultra low sulfur diesel fuel (ULSD). The problem comes during the refining process used to attain the ultra low sulfur ratio. That affects the naturally occurring wax in diesel in such a way that it can cause the fuel to turn from liquid to gel more readily in cold temperatures. Gelled fuel clogs the fuel filters and starves the engine, causing it to stop. Diesel fuel additives, such as Amsoil's, and ultraclean kerosene added to the fuel help prevent this problem.

AMSOIL Cold Flow Improver

. Purge any water from fuel system and change fuel filter regularly (every 15,000 miles).
    . Install block heater.
    greenpower Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 12:12 PM
    I have a 1997 f-350 with a 7.3L turbo diesel. I just replaced 2 injectors 3&5. But now when I rev the motor pass 2000 RPMs I get a ticking noise from the passenger side of the motor. But only when it is 2000 rpms and up. If I put the clutch in at anytime it will stop. Do you have any answers?
    Brent Rasmussen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2013, 12:35 PM
    On my 2000 Ford 350 7.3 L diesel, I have a code saying cylinder #4 glow plug. Which is the #4 cylinder? Is the #4 glow plug the same? I heard in some vehicles it is the opposite. Is this the plug, the wiring or what?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2013, 12:49 PM
    Front to back, driver's side: 2, 4, 6, 8.
    Front to back, passenger's side: 1, 3, 5, 7.

The #4 glow plug is associated with the #4 cylinder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford F-250 7.3 Power stroke glow plugs [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: How do I change the glow plugs in my 1999 Ford F-250, 7.3 Power Stoke?

Ford F250 glow plugs [ 2 Answers ]

My 1997 Ford F250 Turbo diesel will not shart in cold weather unless it is plugged in. I was told it needed glow plugs;replacing them is "easy" they said! Well I got them and can't figure out how to change them. Any advice or clues or directions would be appreciated. Thanks, GAye

1999 F-350 Glow plugs. [ 2 Answers ]

How long should it take me to change my glow plugs? And is the a good manule to look at?

Spark plugs removal on a 2005 ford taurus V6 3.0L [ 1 Answers ]

On this car, there are three plugs located in the front, and three located on the back of the motor (location), which is covered by the intake manifold. Is there an easy way to get to these spark plugs without removing the intake? Or do you recommend going to the dealer for this type of tune-up? Is...

No glow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a pitbull\rottweiler he is 5mo. His coat is not shinning the way I think it should.

View more questions Search