Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unicornknoll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Ford F250 glow plugs
    My 1997 Ford F250 Turbo diesel will not shart in cold weather unless it is plugged in. I was told it needed glow plugs;replacing them is "easy" they said! Well I got them and can't figure out how to change them. Any advice or clues or directions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    GAye
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 04:12 PM
    It is a tedious and uncomfortable task to do (difficult access) but no special tools are required. The manual doesn't specify, but you may want to have replacement valve cover gaskets on hand before beginning. Book time for both banks is just over three hours. Plan accordingly. Safety is paramount. Allow the engine to completely cool. Overnight is best. Have sufficient lighting available.

REMOVAL

WARNING: RED-STRIPED WIRING HARNESS CARRIES 115V DC. SEVERE ELECTRICAL SHOCK MAY BE RECEIVED. DO NOT PIERCE.

1. Remove the valve cover.
    2. Disconnect the glow plug electrical connector using a pair of pliers.
    3. Remove the glow plug using a deep 1Omm socket.
    4. Clean and inspect the glow plug tip for damage. Replace if damaged.

INSTALLATION

1. Install the glow plug and tighten to 19 Nm (14 ft lb) .
    2. Connect the glow plug electrical connector.
    3. Install the valve cover. Tighten to 11 Nm (97 in lb) .
    hiperf402 Posts: 106, Reputation: -1

Mar 25, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Yeh the flaw you made was not telling him if he doesn't cut fuel and purge oil and fuel from cylinder, engine will be hyro-locked from oil and fuel entering cylinder. Installation 4. Do it over again the correct way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 ford f250 7.3 power stoke [ 2 Answers ]

I have a slite knoke in my moter at 1000 rpm it vibrates vary little it seams as if it is missing it does not blow eny smoke out in eny coler it should blow black when you step on it but it does not do that ether so some say it hase a fuel problem I'm not shure so if you have a answer let me know...

Ford F-250 7.3 Power stroke glow plugs [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: How do I change the glow plugs in my 1999 Ford F-250, 7.3 Power Stoke?

Ford F250 Diesel [ 8 Answers ]

How do I change the head in my Ford F250 diesel?

Spark plugs removal on a 2005 ford taurus V6 3.0L [ 1 Answers ]

On this car, there are three plugs located in the front, and three located on the back of the motor (location), which is covered by the intake manifold. Is there an easy way to get to these spark plugs without removing the intake? Or do you recommend going to the dealer for this type of tune-up? Is...

View more questions Search