Hunter 42995B thermostat wiring for Rheem heat pump
    System: Rheem all electric heat pump.

Broken thermostat: Honeywell T841A1308 Heat Pump Thermostat

Replacement Thermostat: Hunter 42995B

Current Wiring:
    "X" -brown wire
    "B" -blue wire
    "W2" -white wire
    ("W2" is also jumped to an "E" terminal)
    "R" -red wire
    "Y" -yellow wire
    "G" -green wire

Terminals on the new Hunter TS:
    "G"
    "W"
    "Y"
    "Rh"
    "Rc"
    (by default, Rh and Rc are jumped.)

The instructions on the Hunter manual don't make it clear what I need to do. My guess is to eliminate the brown wire, connect the red wire to "Rc", the blue wire to Rh, the others to the letter corresponding to their color, and eliminate the "Rc" to "Rh" jumper. I have been given to understand, however, by looking at a websight or two, that in NO CASE should I be guessing.

Please help me. Much thanks in advance.

Oh! As to why I think my thermostat is broken: The heat comes on and stays on when I turn from "off" to "heat". There is no more automatic shutoff when the house warms up. It just gets warmer and warmer. When I pull the cover off the little mercury bubbles are tilted all the way to one side. Changing the temperature setting makes no change in the position of the bubbles. However if I take those bubbles connected to their coil and manually move them side to side, tilting the mercury back and forth, the heater goes on and off. Therefore I think there's a mechanical breakdown in the thermostat.

Thanks again for any advice.

JS
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Here is a diagram for your old thermost showing where the wires went and what they were for.Transpose these over to your new thermostat areas.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-1217ef.pdf

NOTE!! I believe your new Hunter stat is not for a heat pump and that could also cause you not to be able to hook it up. Save the Honeywell file because you will need it when you buy the correct thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Replacing an old Honeywell Thermostat with a Hunter Model 44260 to a York Heat Pump [ 0 Answers ]

I have an older Honeywell thermostat with wiring G(green) W(white) R(red) X(blue) B(black) O(orange) & Y(yellow). My new programmable thermostat Hunter 44260 has G R/C R/H Y/O W/B & Y1. Which wires go where on the new 44260 thermostat? The manual is not easy to understand. Thanks! D

Heat pump thermostat wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have pored over the thermostat wiring messages on this forum, but I still have a question. I am installing a RiteTemp 8085C to replace a Janitrol thermostat for my Goodman heat pump. The old thermostat was wired as follows: Red to R Orange to O Yellow to Y Green to G Blue to C White...

Rheem to Hunter Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, I'm trying to replace an old rheem thermostat with a hunter Model 44155C. The wiring colors are confusing to a novice like me. There are five wires: red, green, blue, yellow and white. The hunter thermostat has connections for RH, RC, G, Y/O, W/B, and Y1. The only two wires that I...

Honeywell RTH 7400 Thermostat wiring for Heat Pump (Rheem) [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a Honeywell RTH 7400 Tstat to the existing Rheem HVAC in my house. Currently using Rheem thermostat that came with the house (non-programmeable, using mercury tubes). Heating is provided by a heat pump as well as Natural gas furnace for aux heating (besides the air...

View more questions Search