Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    perfect_butterfli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Letting go of dad
    My children have a father who really wants nothing to do with them. So I was wondering how I go about getting him to remove his parental rights. Him and I have talked about it but he has not given me an answer yet. He told me he has thought about letting them go for good. Where do I start when he's completely ready to let go. We live in Colorado. Please help me. My husband wants to adopt them also!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 09:14 PM
    You have to have the real father agree sign over his rights. You can consult a family lawyer for help with that.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 11:59 PM
    I personally know of a similar situation. It kind of sucks as far as a father being that way as far as I am concerned, but the guy was way behind on child support and thought that was his way out... anyways, it involved lawyers and legal papers that had to be signed and approved by a judge. I think they spent at least 3 thousand in legal fees, so I'd start asking legal advice. It might be cheaper if it is all voluntary and doesn't involve a lot of court stuff... the case I mentioned involved the real father not showing up to court and causing numerous delays which all cost extra legal fees... he seemed to think that the longer he stalled the more child support he could get away with not paying when things were final... It all backfired on him, and he was held responsible for half the legal fees and also all of the back child support. I didn't know him at all, but only what the child's mother told me. Also, as in all the legal stuff, I'm sure it is different in every state.
    needadvicenj Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Hi sorry about what your going threw... I myself am dealing with a similar situation. You can get help with the legal aid in your state.and make sure as much as you dislike your ex do not bad mouth him in any way in front of your children... trust me its hard I know but in the end it will help u. my ex wants nothing to do with my daughter just to make my life hell. In time your kids will learn the truth but for now stay strong and happy. Good luck
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 09:04 AM
    As Charlotte said, you will have to have the bio father willingly relinquish his parental rights in order for you husband to adopt.

As as far as where you need to start... with the bio father. It's up to him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2007, 10:15 AM
    There are a number of threads here that all say the same thing there is also a sticky note in the Family Law forum about it. I suggest you look at them.

The bottomline here is that relinquishing parental rights is a difficult business. It is rarely granted and when it is, its almost always to pave the way for the adoption of the child by a stepparent or adoptive parents.

So the fact that your husband wants to adopt bodes well for you. You need to file a petition for adoption with your local Family court. You will need to get an attorney to do that. That attorney will also take care of the paperwork for the father to relinquish his rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My stepdaughter dad, isn't really her dad, and I want to adopt her [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I are trying to get some insight on how to go about telling her exhusband that I want to adopt her /his daughter, 8yrs old with him knowing that he wasn't really the father in the first place. He agreed to raise her knowing that he wasn't her real dad, ( bio is completely out of the...

Letting go of the past [ 4 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for 2 years and over time have come to find out things about his past that I cannot seem to deal with. First - he has 3 kids with 3 different mamas. First one he was 20 - mom was 18, second one he was 22 - mom was 15 (I think) and gave up child for adoption, third child...

Letting him down gently [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in a really stupid situation. I separated from my partner of 6 years almost 2 years ago. I was devastated and knew I couldn't stay near him immediately following the break up so I worked abroad for a year and a half. Now I've moved back to where my ex is living (we have many mutual friends and...

Letting go and moving on [ 7 Answers ]

I'm ready to get over my ex. A part of me still wants to hold on to her and hold out hope that we'll be together again. But the truth is I can't stay in the place I am in any more. Maybe someday down the road we'll get back together again but I know I can't wait/depend on that. It still hurts that...

View more questions Search