Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Basement Rough In-- Vince
    Ok, here's the skinny, I tried to save $$ by hiring a handyman plumber, but things just don't look right. In the basement the install would be wetbar, shower, toilet, and lavatory in that order. I'm attaching a picture of what has been done so far, I will accept all complaints because I need to get this done. I've done some reading and that's how I've come to the conclusion that things are not right. I tried to upload the picture but it is to large 388kb is there a way that I can compress it down to 279kb I've tried everything. Well, I will try to explain what I have there is one 2 inch pvc pipe (wetbar sink) that is approximately 26 inches from the exterior wall. It is 12 inches in height. That's picture im00606 first stub is wet bar second stub is shower. The second pis the one I tried to edit. The third picture is showing the toilet and lavatory to the right. The stubs that are shown are drains that are connected under the concrete. I don't see any venting for these pipes. It's been about six months since this work was done. I'm just trying to get this thing done one way or another any input at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    vince
    1timer Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2005, 12:22 PM
    I sent you that email, because I could not compress the pictures down to the 297kb to upload this site. I hope you received the pictures as well.
    vince
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2005, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Ok, here's the skinny, I tried to save $$ by hiring a handyman plumber, but things just don't look right. In the basement the install would be wetbar, shower, toilet, and lavatory in that order. I'm attaching a picture of what has been done so far, I will accept all complaints because I need to get this done. I've done some reading and that's how I've come to the conclusion that things are not right. I tried to upload the picture but it is to large 388kb is there a way that I can compress it down to 279kb I've tried everything. Well, I will try to explain what I have there is one 2 inch pvc pipe (wetbar sink) that is approximately 26 inches from the exterior wall. It is 12 inches in height. That's picture im00606 first stub is wet bar second stub is shower. The second pis the one i tried to edit. the third picture is showing the toilet and lavatory to the right. The stubs that are shown are drains that are connected under the concrete. I don't see any venting for these pipes. It's been about six months since this work was done. I'm just trying to get this thing done one way or another any input at all would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    vince

Where do I start Vince?
    With the bar sink raiser that's 26" from a wall when it should have been brought up next to it so it could be hidden by furring out the walls or the stops that are straight stops instead of angle stops and are not even brought out to the correct elevation?
    How bout the toilet flange that was glued in a few inches too high or the water supplies for the toilet and lavatory that are positioned wrong.
    Unless that 3" vent is carring discharge fromup stairs it's completely unnecessary. About the only thing I can see he did right was to tie the shower drain into the lavatory drain and let the lavatory wet vent the shower. You are aware that you'll have to vent both the lavatory and the bar sink aren't you? My advice? Get a real plumber in to straighten out this abortion before it goes any farther. Ya made a bad boo-boo Vince trying to save a buck and now it's time to "bite the bullet" and make it right. Good luck, Tom

Sep 26, 2005, 12:52 PM
    Well, I asked for it, didn't know it at the time. Thanks for your expert advice. The flange has actually been corrected from your previous help. I thought that the stubs would have to come up the exterior wall. And yes the lav and wetbar would have to be vented, I was thinking a horizontal vent. I have more time than money, so I will be trying to correct what you have posted. I know that means jack hammering the concrete floor to correct the stubs.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2005, 02:40 PM
    Hi Vince,

If you plan on doing the work yourself I can furnish you with rough in measurements, ie; distance from floor to center of stubouts, height of supplies etc. If by horizontal vent you mean reventing one fixture back to the other and running one vent out for both, that works for me.
    Regards, Tom

Sep 26, 2005, 03:11 PM
    Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. The rough in measurements and any other info I could use.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2005, 03:22 PM
    Just keep me informed as to the area you're working and I'll furnish the rough in dimensions for that fixture. Tom

Sep 28, 2005, 06:30 AM
    I will be working on the two stubs that are extending from the concrete today. The first one is the wet bar area that is 26 inches from the wall. The other stub (lavatory) is 12 inches from the wall. I know I will have to jack up the concrete and move them closer to the wall. I guess once that's done what supplies would I need? The drain pipe underneath is either a 3 or 4 inch pipe that will need to be extended and then reduced to a 2 inch pipe. Could you help me from there?
    vince
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Good morning Vince,

Extend the bar sink drain to the wall and turn up with a DWV elbo to 17 1/2" to the center of 2X1 1/2" sanitary tee. A vent will raise out of the tee and revent back into the lavatory vent which will go out through the roof. After you figure how much fur the wall out the supplies stub out at the same elevation on either side of the tee, ( if that's not possible then off to one side will be acceptable), with compression angle stops not the straight stops that are now on there. Do one wall at a time. Your next focus should be on the shower. Let's take this one step at a time. Regards Tom

Sep 28, 2005, 07:09 AM
    Thanks, that will get me started.

Ok, I think, I finally figured out how to compress the photos. So, here goes with the photos. The first one is the original one I started with. The second one is the completion of the first one. If, anyone has any input I would appreciate it. I also understand that, I need to move the copper pipes over from the pvc pipe.
    Attached Images

Nov 5, 2005, 09:00 AM
    I will try this again.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2005, 10:27 AM
    The wet bar drainage looks fine to me.l You may have to reduce the branch of the tee down to 1 1/2" to pick up the trap. you may keep the supplies over to the right of the trap if you bring them in closer and the stops are wrong. You have straight stops and they should be angle stops. Use the existing 1/2" compression nuts and ferrules to install the new stops. Good luck, Tom

Nov 6, 2005, 07:42 AM
    Tom, thanks for the help. Here's another picture before I start moving the supply lines. I know I need the angle stops, I've purchased them already. You said that the supply lines could be moved over to the right. Is that the one supply line on the left, that's moved over to the right or is it both supply lines moved over to the right. If it is the latter, then I would have to move them over on the other side of the stud. And my last question is, is there anything that is suppose to cover the top opening of the tee?
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Nov 6, 2005, 08:58 AM
    "there anything that is suppose to cover the top opening of the tee?"

Gee! I'm glad you asked because that's going to be the main vent for your bathroom group. This vent will run up and out the roof. Move the supplies closer to the trap And change those straight stops for angle stops.
    Regards, Tom

Nov 10, 2005, 04:12 PM
    I know I'm slower than molasses, but here is the latest picture. Whatever is wrong, let me know and I will correct it.

vince
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Nov 10, 2005, 04:27 PM
    It looks fine to me. You don't have to move the supplies but you do have to use pipe straps to secure the pipes to the wall so they aren't floating. Now run the vent for your group and complete your job. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Nov 10, 2005, 05:12 PM
    Thanks tom, You can't see the straps in the picture, but they are secured to the stud with straps.
    Now, for the million dollar question? I know I have to run the vent pipe, but I don't know to which one. I will take a picture of where I think it should go.

Nov 10, 2005, 05:44 PM
    This picture is 20 feet across from the wetbar pipes, and the pipes go upstairs
    To the kitchen and bathrom pipes. This is a ranch style home, 1st floor and basement. If there are any other pictures, that you want me to take to get a better idea, let me know. I just need to know which of the pipes to connect the other end of the pvc pipe to.
    vince
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Nov 11, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Good morning Vince,

"I just need to know which of the pipes to connect the other end of the pvc pipe to."

Perhaps you don't need to connect to either of the drain pipes you pictured.
    Consider adding a "cheater vent" to the top of the tee.
    Check them out at, http://www.studor.com/homeowners.htm
    Good luck, Tom

Nov 11, 2005, 07:06 AM
    Thanks Tom, That would be perfect. I tried to call this morning (toll free) but no one is in yet. Maybe because of the holiday, but will call later on or call the rep that is closest to me. Just trying to get an idea of the cost, its nowhere on their website.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement rough in [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to rough in plumbing in my basement for a full bath (toilet, sink, and shower). I live just outside of Chicago so I suspect the plumbing codes are the same as Chicago. Currently in my basement I have two sump pumps and pits, one pump takes care of the drainage around the foundation...

Basement rough in? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought a house with a 3 piece rough-in in the basement. I am building a bathroom and as I prepare to do the framing work, I am wondering how much room do I leave from the rough-in toilet drain to the drywall? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Basement Rough-ins [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 14 years old and it has rough in plumbing in the basement. One for the toilet and one for the shower. Also a stand pipe next to a wall which I assume is the vent. Does the rough in plumbing have the traps below the concrete flooring?

Basement rough [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there I have a question about 2 4" pipes coming out of basement slab... one is raised and on is flush... both ate capped and connect directly to street... I'm prettty sure raised one is clanot but not sure about other... both emmit strong gas when caps removed?

Basement rough-in: dap out [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I've spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out if my roughed in bath is missing something or not and wondering if I am going to have to redo any of my framing. I have the 4" and 2" drains in the toilet area and a 12"x12" dap out for the tub. Well I took the cover off the dap out to take...

View more questions Search