Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pack48625 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Transformer for heat/air
    What is a transformer in the heating and air conditioning unit? What is a ball park cost of transformer?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:19 AM
    A transformer is a device that takes a certain voltage and reduces it to another voltage, in the case of your furnace or air conditioning system the transformer in the furnace changes the voltage to 24 volts for control of the componets in the furnace and air conditioning unit. The cost of the transformer might vary but will cost between $15 and $40 dollars not including labor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump transformer [ 3 Answers ]

Where is the transformer and what does it look like and how can I tell if it is bad?

Replaced Transformer on Trane heat pump still no power [ 5 Answers ]

Today I woke to no power to thermostst. Through this site I found out about the transformer. Check power to transformer good 120volts each wire. But no voltage out. Replaced transformer. Wired red to red and white to white incoming power. And blut to black blue and red to black red out coming....

Transformer buzz on heat pump [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new heat pump/furnace/airconditioner installed (Trane) and you can hear the "buzz" of the transformer on the outside unit all of the time. Our old unit did this, but I always assumed it was because it was getting old and something was wrong. Is this normal? And why is the...

Carrier air handler 24 volt transformer. [ 15 Answers ]

Last week my air handler quit working, I found that the 5AMP fuse for the secondary 24volt pwr supply was blown, replace and all worked fine for a week. Now I find it blown again, but each time I relace it it blows, The voltage reading I get at the fuse is 29.5 V is that to high? The transformer...

Wiring from transformer to heat only thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a honeywell hot water heat system(condo) with a control valve for the water, a transformer to supply power to the valve and a thermostat. The power supply was disconnected and I now need to reconnect a new transformer into the system. I have tried to use a 40VA transformer but I am concerned...

View more questions Search