Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lil Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Garnishment to embarrass me
    A credit card won a judgment against me without a trial. (They and I were totally unprepared for the pretrial hearing. Their lawyer had nothing with him that the judge asked for. I had nothing that I could put my hands on immediately under pressure, even though I did have it all with me. I had been told that all I needed to do was show up for the pretrial hearing and state that I planned to defend myself in court. That turned out to be untrue. The credit card got a default judgment against me.)

Anyway, the credit card company has now tried to garnish wages from a former employer, where I have not worked since 1996. (The employer sent me a copy of their response to the Request and Writ for Garnishment.) That leads me to believe that they are purposely trying to embarrass me. It's a very small office, so now I assume everyone knows I am in financial trouble.

Is is legal for a creditor to embarrass somebody publicly like that, when it is clear from the record that I have not worked there in more than ten years? My credit report shows that.

In Michigan, can they garnish my checking account? I have nothing to hide, but if they take money from my checking account I won't be able to pay for utilities or food.

I hate that I'm in this situation, but it is because of my medical condition. I have been unable to work for several years, and I have told creditors that. Now I'm worried that they'll try the garnishment trick with other former employers. I have nothing to hide, but I don't want the embarrassment. I'm a highly educated professional with a medical condition that has put me in the poorhouse. I have used credit only for necessities, absolutely no luxuries.

So my two questions are:
    1. Is it legal for a creditor to embarrass somebody purposely when they know I have not worked for an employer in long time?
    2. Can they garnish my checking account in Michigan?

Thank you so much for any answers.

Lil
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
    I doubt they were trying to embarrass you, they probably looked up your last employer and reached out to them.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 30, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil
    A credit card won a judgment against me without a trial. (They and I were totally unprepared for the pretrial hearing. Their lawyer had nothing with him that the judge asked for. I had nothing that I could put my hands on immediately under pressure, even though I did have it all with me. I had been told that all I needed to do was show up for the pretrial hearing and state that I planned to defend myself in court. That turned out to be untrue. The credit card got a default judgment against me.)

Anyway, the credit card company has now tried to garnish wages from a former employer, where I have not worked since 1996. (The employer sent me a copy of their response to the Request and Writ for Garnishment.) That leads me to believe that they are purposely trying to embarrass me. It's a very small office, so now I assume everyone knows I am in financial trouble.

Is is legal for a creditor to embarrass somebody publicly like that, when it is clear from the record that I have not worked there in more than ten years? My credit report shows that.

In Michigan, can they garnish my checking account? I have nothing to hide, but if they take money from my checking account I won't be able to pay for utilities or food.

I hate that I'm in this situation, but it is because of my medical condition. I have been unable to work for several years, and I have told creditors that. Now I'm worried that they'll try the garnishment trick with other former employers. I have nothing to hide, but I don't want the embarrassment. I'm a highly educated professional with a medical condition that has put me in the poorhouse. I have used credit only for necessities, absolutely no luxuries.

So my two questions are:
    1. Is it legal for a creditor to embarrass somebody purposely when they know I have not worked for an employer in long time?

Lil
    1) Yes
    And 2) yes even though it embassing to you and if you have money (or ever have money) in that checking acct.

But this time, don't take anyone's word not even mine !) such as you did when you appeared in court under the incorrect assumption that alll you had to do was state that you plan to defend yourself.

If you do not have the money to consult with an atty, call the local Bar Association and attempt to secure free legal advice.
    Superfed Posts: 32, Reputation: 2
    -

Jul 30, 2007, 11:30 PM

So my two questions are:

Lil
    I doubt they were trying to embarrass you. They just want the money you owe.
    Remember, when you apply for a credit card, you fill out an application. In that application they ask you who your employer is and for your bank account number. That is the only info they have to go on after a judgment has been filed against you.

When I received a judgment for a credit card, the debt collector mailed me a questionnaire subpoena. Filling out this questionnaire subpoena was in the form of a court order. I had to tell them everything I owned, bank accounts, vehicles, properties, etc.

These debt collectors don't want to hear why you couldn't pay the debt. You can be living on a park bench and they will still be trying to find you to collect.
    webworm98 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 10:31 AM

So my two questions are:

Lil
    You can appeal and challenge the garnishment. If you have time close your accounts now.

Aug 2, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    I doubt they were trying to embarrass you, they probably looked up your last employer and reached out to them.
    That was three employers ago, so I'm concerned that they'll embarrass me with the last two employers, too.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody.

Lil

Aug 6, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by webworm98
    You can appeal and challenge the garnishment. If you have time close your accounts now.
    Well, I had no money in my checking account and wasn't smart enough to close my business account. The credit union tells me they can do that with a dba account, but not if it were a corporate account. Now I guess all my outstanding checks and charges will bounce. I needed the money in my business account to pay business expenses. Now I won't be able to pay ANY living expenses and will either have to declare bankruptcy or live on the streets.

I responded to an artibration letter for this particular creditor, so can they garnish while the arbitration is being discussed?

Totally hopeless,
    Lil
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2007, 12:26 PM
    I would appeal the judgement. You were the defendant in the case. You should not have had to prove anything except to refute statements from the plaintiff.

What should have happened is the judge should have asked the plaintiff to produce verification of the debt. If they couldn't you should have asked for a dismissal. If tha't not the way it went, appeal.

Aug 6, 2007, 12:45 PM
    What should have happened is the judge should have asked the plaintiff to produce verification of the debt. If they couldn't you should have asked for a dismissal. If tha't not the way it went, appeal.

Lil
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
    It wasn't clear that your accounts were garnished. You need to file a motion to vacate the judgement on the grounds that the plaitiff did not prove the debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have a garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out if I have a garnishment?

Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

After a debt has been paid/settled. How long does the garnishment continue, and are you entitled to receive the money back after the debt has been paid?

Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

Doesn't VA have a Slow Motion to Pay that I can file in Fairfax? I can't seem to find it online and you can't trust the clerk's office to tell you the truth.

Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering is there a limit to what can be garnished? I know that the court can order wage garnishment and bank account Garnishment/freeze, but can they touch my retirement account? My husband's separate savings account? Can they order me to sell the house that is under my husband's name?...

View more questions Search