Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caneco Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
    AC blower working but fan and compresor not
    My AC fan stop working few days ago, we got a new fan motor , started the unit and the fan did not start. Changed the contactor and one of the capacitators and started fine until I shut it off the AC from inside and now the fan does not want to start. Any help will be appreciated.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Can you describe the colors and how many wires the motor has and where they are connected?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Does the motor make any noise when you turn the AC on? And can you hear the contactor click in when you turn the AC on? Does the compressor start when you turn the AC on.
    There are several things it could be but I need a little information before I can tell you much. If nothing runs when you turn the thermostat on it could be the transformer in the furnace. If the furnace fan runs then it is not the transformer. If the Contactor does not click in it could be a bad coil on the contactor, or you could have a low pressure switch that is not closed because of low freon.
    It is possible that when you changed the motor and capacitor and contactor that you got a wire misplaced.

I need more info before I can tell you much more.

Jul 28, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Does the motor make any noise when you turn the AC on? No noise. When I turn the thermostat inside I can hear the blower on, but not the fan or compresor

And can you hear the contactor click in when you turn the AC on? Yes like every 5 to 6 seconds

Does the compressor start when you turn the AC on. no

Another thing I have 2 capacitators, I changed one of them.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Check your breaker and the fuses near the a/c
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Some replacement motors are reversible and you should check and make sure that it is rotating in the correct direction if not there may be a connection on the motor to reverse rotation.
    If it were running backwards then it may have kicked the breaker due to not cooling the refrigerant, (high head pressures)

Jul 28, 2007, 08:34 PM
    I already check the motor and is rotating in the right direction, fuses and breaker have been check too.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Sounds like you have no power at the contactor if it is pulling in, you may have to look at it and see if it is pulling in and if there are any wires that may have come loose from it .
    If you have a multimeter you could check the voltage on both sides of the contractor.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
    You need to check at the contactor both line and load side for 230 volts.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.

If you have 230 to them, and the motor doesn't run, either it or the capacitor is bad.

Edit, Note the timing of 2 similar posts.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Good luck, I think you are headed in the right direction to finding the problem, it probably wouldn't hurt to pick up one of Labman's doodads ,wise investment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Blower not working [ 2 Answers ]

Blower/fan will not turn on, replaced the transformer, but not the answer any ideas

Central indoor fan blower not working [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, My indoor blower quit working, first it made weird sounds during start few times and then quit. I have a Rheem Criterion furnace from 1992. The air handler and evaporator was replaced few years ago and other maintenance done. The run capacitor (Old one was a cylindrical 15MFD 370VAC...

A/C Blower fan not working [ 2 Answers ]

Blower fan does not work in a/c mode, but if I switch it to heat the fan kicks on and starts blowing hot air.

Blower fan not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a York central a/c forced air gas furnace. It's about 10 years old. The blower motor has stopped working. I can spin the squirrel cage freely by hand. Everything else seems to work as it should. Using a multimeter, as far as I can tell (I'm a plumber, not an electrician) 120V is not being...

View more questions Search