Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cafehyde Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Double tap on neutral feed
    Hello,

I noticed that my neutral feed wire in my panel is tapped under it's connection lug with another neutral feed going to a sub panel. Is this troublesome? If so, what could be hazardous about it?

Thanks ahead of time.

Eric.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Most lugs are only rated to handle one conductor. There is a potential for a loose connection developing, which can cause heat and damage the lug, wire, and lug mounting.

Getting a loose neutral is the worst case, as loose shared neutral will cause abnormal voltages to be impressed on branch circuits.

You can take both wires off and splice together with a short pigtail to the lug. Power needs to be off, and the mechanical connector needs to be able to handle three wires of the size you have.
    KaFidela Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cafehyde
    Hello,

I noticed that my neutral feed wire in my panel is tapped under it's connection lug with another neutral feed going to a sub panel. Is this troublesome? If so, what could be hazardous about it?

Thanks ahead of time.

Eric.

If the connection lug is "type Y" and can handle 2 conductors or if the connection lug is bigger than the size of 1 conductor and can fit 2 conductors, I think it's safe as long as the lug is crimped and fastened properly in the neutral terminal in the panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a Double Pole Breaker to feed two circuits [ 11 Answers ]

I have 40' run from the main panel with BX and want to use 14/3 instead of two runs of 14/2. Is there a problem using a double pole breaker (15amp) to feed (with 14/3) a split receptacle and then a lighting circuit on one half and 4 receptacles on the other? Is the only drawback is when one...

Feed Me! [ 7 Answers ]

I am going on vacation and wanted to know exactly how long leopard geckos can go without food (of course I'm not going to leave him alone for 2 weeks, I just want to know.)

Back feed through the neutral? [ 1 Answers ]

In my research on generator interlocks, I see references to needing to switch the neutral to avoid backfeeding through it. None of the commercial units seem to do it. It seems to me like there would have to be more than one major problem before my little 6250 watt generator could ever impose a...

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

View more questions Search