Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
    Back feed through the neutral?
    In my research on generator interlocks, I see references to needing to switch the neutral to avoid backfeeding through it. None of the commercial units seem to do it. It seems to me like there would have to be more than one major problem before my little 6250 watt generator could ever impose a voltage on the neutral running out to the pole. Here is one reference, http://www.craftkb.com/Uwe/Forum.asp...eb2fdcb3a6auwe
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 03:59 AM
    The neutral should be grounded at your service and at the utility transformer/pole. The neutral is not switched when using an interlock device.

There should not ne anu fear of backfeeding voltage on the neutral because it is, or should be grounded.

Do not ground the neutral at the generator, however, read the manufactuers manual, the generator may need the frame grounded.

Grounding and neutrals can be confusing, and must be done correctly for safety, let me know if you are not sure of what I explained.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feed Me! [ 7 Answers ]

I am going on vacation and wanted to know exactly how long leopard geckos can go without food (of course I'm not going to leave him alone for 2 weeks, I just want to know.)

No video feed to TV [ 1 Answers ]

I have a denon surround receiver that is hooked up to a plasma screen,cable/dvr and dvd player. System was working properly. I turned off TV with harmony universal remote. Later turned on TV again and now the screen says component 1 no signal. No matter what I do I cannot get the video to turn...

Weed And Feed In The Garden [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My son put weed and feed in the vegetable garden Will this harm my plants what can I do? Will I be able to eat the Produce...

Kitten trying to feed still. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my cat had kittens on 18th June, 3 have left and I've kept one, she is fully weaned,eating nicely,mother has been spayed and is all dried up of milk, yet I have noticed the kittens still trying to suckle and the mother is letting her even though there is nothing coming out, is this normal, was...

View more questions Search