Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoschman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Musty odor in daughters bedroom
    We are trying to get the musty odor out of our daughters bedroom. Recently, we have been inundated with non-stop rain, and apparently some had seeped in. We pulled back the carpet, removed the damp tack boards and baseboard, cut out the damp carpet pad, and opened up the window and now have a fan blowing the area dry. However, there is a terrible musty odor emanating from the once damp area. My question is - what is a good product (or idea) that will help eliminate this odor? Thanks -
    tacramer Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hoschman
    We are trying to get the musty odor out of our daughters bedroom. Recently, we have been inundated with non-stop rain, and apparently some had seeped in. We pulled back the carpet, removed the damp tack boards and baseboard, cut out the damp carpet pad, and opened up the window and now have a fan blowing the area dry. However, there is a terrible musty odor emanating from the once damp area. My question is - what is a good product (or idea) that will help eliminate this odor? Thanks -
    If it has been wet before and not taken care of correctly - you probably have mildew and/or mold. Both of these will cause health probs and lower the value of the house...

If you've done this much so far... you should start at area and dissasemble it, not destroy it, just remove floor boards, trim, fixtures carefully . Make a 1 inch hole about 6-8 inches from the floor through the wallboard (sheetrock) around the area and stick your nose and fingers in to see if it is damp/musty. If so remove the wall board and decide if dryrot has set in or if you can treat the wood with anti-fungal agents etc.

In any case... find the source of the water... outside of a flood coming in the door... every house should stay dry...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 17, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Check under the bed for dirty running shoes, gym bags full of damp clothes, closet too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior musty smell when rain comes [ 2 Answers ]

This does not have to do with actual improvement of the home, but to a point I guess it does. Whenever it rains I notice this musty smell in my living room and office. We used to only notice it in the office room, but now we notice it in the living/dining area too. The office and living/dining...

Musty smell when entering home [ 3 Answers ]

When I enter my house, there is a very strong musty odor that I can smell. Although there is no mold visible anywhere around the house, I'm suspecting that we have a mold problem. Any suggestions?

Toilet leak, musty smell [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replace the supply line to my toilet. I guess I did it wrong and water leaked around the edge of the wall for 2 days. I fixed the leak and mopped up the water. Now we have a bad musty smell. DO I need to tear my sheetrock out and replace the insulation and sheetrock? I don't see any...

Musty/moldy smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have noticed a strong musty/moldy smell coming from the bathroom vanity, inside of heating baseboard (there are holes where the pipes go into the wall), inside the electrical box panel and any small openings on the baseboard too. We own a slab ranch home (no basement). There are no visible...

View more questions Search