Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnny1237 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Shower renovation
    I am renovating a bathroom in a 50 year old house. The house is on a slab and I have removed the bathroom floor down to the concrete subfloor. I want to reuse the shower drain pipe without having to escavate the slab if possible.

The existing drain pipe for the shower sits a few inches above the subfloor, enough for me to attach a drain to it.

I want to use a PVC weep drain and pan for the floor of the shower. But I don't want to escave the floor to attach an underground no-hub to have a PVC pipe coming out of the floor.

Is there a way to attach a PVC drain directly to the metal pipe sticking out of the floor?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 31, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Is there a way to attach a PVC drain directly to the metal pipe sticking out of the floor?
    Is the pipe cast iron and is this what you wish to attach to it?(see image). Let me know. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 06:12 PM

You can use Lincoln Instant Set Cast Iron shower drain over the pipe. It installs in seconds, will last for ages and cost less then $30.00.

Problem is that if you want to convert PVC than you won't have enough room to do so w/o doing some excavation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub renovation to full shower [ 2 Answers ]

What questions should I ask a general contractor, who will be doing a conversion from a bath shower conbination to a full tiled walk-in shower. Thanks for any input.

Fireplace renovation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a stone fireplace. I want to replace it with a wooden fireplace and mantle. The current mantle is stone. The wall above is the same as the rest of the room. Is this type of reconstruction expensive and doable?

Renovation of electrical [ 1 Answers ]

Hello if going updated my home electrical do I have install wire smoke detector. And if yes are they expensive. Live the state of ma

Renovation Plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change plumbing under the slab? Are there reasonable contractors in Houma, LA area that does this type of work? {Post moved to Plumbing forum. Please be careful about where you post. The Introductions forum is not for asking questions. -<>}

Residential renovation [ 1 Answers ]

Is 1/2" drywall appropriate for walls and ceilings?

View more questions Search