Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radiowzzz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Fireplace renovation
    I have a stone fireplace. I want to replace it with a wooden fireplace and mantle.
    The current mantle is stone. The wall above is the same as the rest of the room. Is this type of reconstruction expensive and doable?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 07:45 PM
    "with a wooden fireplace" I don't think you really meant a wooden fire place, maybe just a wooden mantle and surround. Yes it can be done and it is not a extremelt difficult job. The face of a fireplace and the mantle are usually a fascia and have not lad bearing of the fireplace. Unless you are really a skilled remodeler I'd get 3 estimates and ask the guys lots of questions. You will have a better idea of the extent of the job, alos will have estimates in plkace if you decide to not do the work yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renovation of old bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter needs a new toilet and tub. The floor around the toilet is so soft we are afraid to use it. I know we will have to replace the floor or put in a completely new one on top of the old one. Putting in a complete new floor is recommended in a book on repairing Manufactured Homes. The...

Renovation of electrical [ 1 Answers ]

Hello if going updated my home electrical do I have install wire smoke detector. And if yes are they expensive. Live the state of ma

Renovation Plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change plumbing under the slab? Are there reasonable contractors in Houma, LA area that does this type of work? {Post moved to Plumbing forum. Please be careful about where you post. The Introductions forum is not for asking questions. -<>}

Residential renovation [ 1 Answers ]

Is 1/2" drywall appropriate for walls and ceilings?

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

View more questions Search