Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jk08p Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Bathtub renovation to full shower
    What questions should I ask a general contractor, who will be doing a conversion from a bath shower conbination to a full tiled walk-in shower. Thanks for any input.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 22, 2008, 08:35 PM

Actually you need to write down what you want, not what he plans to do. You need to decide if you want a custom shower pan built from scratch, a retor fit shower pan that fits a tub foot print or a factory acrylic shower pan. Most generals do not know thing #1 about building a custom shower pan, maybe their subs will. How to Build a Shower Pan
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 25, 2008, 03:39 AM

I replaced a tub with a shower. I used a retrofit shower pan. Kohler and Swanstone carry them. I ordered mine through Home Depot(Swanstone) and am very pleased with it. I had to change out the drain from 1 1/2 to 2" and move the shower valve up to a height I felt comfortable with. Do your research and find something you like and don't let them take any short cuts.
    HGTV : Decorating, Remodeling, Home Improvement & Gardening Ideas, Videos and more : Home & Garden Television

Bathroom Remodeling Pictures Design Tile Ideas Photos Shower Fairfax Manassas Va.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Cat/Sh...7CBrand=Kohler

http://swanstone.com/index.php?cat=4&attr=78

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Delta bathtub faucet renovation [ 21 Answers ]

I have an old Delta two handle shower/tub faucet. I've seen many posts on this forum about how to remove the tub spout, but none seem to apply to this spout. I've taken pictures of the underside of the spout to show what I mean. There are a couple grooves, but no slot where an Allen wrench could...

Bathtub wall renovation [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to cover a ceramic tile bathtub wall with a fiberglass (or even something else) without having to remove the tile or cover the bathtub. The bathtub is in perfect condition, but the dry heat of desert summers is death on grout?

Converting bathtub/shower to shower only. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, is it possible to take out our fiberglass bathtub/shower surround, and convert into a step in all tiled shower. How would we go about doing that.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. :D MDStevens

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

View more questions Search